Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got it done with the Cap Lock

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Got it done with the Cap Lock

Well, we did not have any luck with deer walking out to us but got some moving by some light poking around the bush by my dad.

The first deer popped out within range moving quickly quartering away, this was Wednesday. My gun had been loaded since Monday and I guess the powder got a bit damp as I had a nice 1/2 second or so hang fire and missed, honestly thought I was not going to get a bang at all and then it went off.

Thursday we poked another spot, a big doe with 2 yearlings came down the trail but mom got wise at 60 or so yards and started off the trail, the patched round ball promptly found a nice tree in the way, it was not a super thick bush but as she was walking I guess I just did not see the tree.

I promptly reloading fully expecting my shot to blow any chance to getting anything.

Dad kept moving down the deer run and one of the yearlings strayed too far from mom and made an attempt to cross the path I was on. A quick bark and she stopped at 20 yards or so, the gun went bang properly this time and I saw the hit, I knew she was going to go down. The tracking job was pretty simple, bleeding from the outset, the shot ended up being a through and through hitting both lungs and the top of the heart, almost no meat damage, she traveled maybe 50 yards.

It was not a large deer but my first with a muzzleloader and with a cap lock and patched round ball at that too.

It was just the 2 of us hunting, 18lbs of boneless meat for me with the shanks bone in and 15lbs of boneless meat for dad, not horrible, I have taken home less from a group hunt with 4 adults down.

Deer 2019.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Awesome! Congratulations!

I've had the hang fire happen with my ML and it's a strange feeling. After the click there's two words that stroll through your mind then BOOM!

Glad you got your deer.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oaknut; December 9th, 2019 at 09:50 AM.
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice deer congrats to you both
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Well that's pretty cool. You're definitely not taking the easiest route there. Congrats.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Well that's pretty cool. You're definitely not taking the easiest route there. Congrats.
    God no, could have shot 2 and had both our tags filled if I had just grabbed the shotgun.

I left it at home 550kms away for a reason, I wanted it done with a patched round ball and gave myself no other option.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Congrats and great story!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good story,nice picture.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    God no, could have shot 2 and had both our tags filled if I had just grabbed the shotgun.

I left it at home 550kms away for a reason, I wanted it done with a patched round ball and gave myself no other option.
    You're talking to a guy who watched a dandy buck walk away at 33 yards this year because he's committed to shooting traditional archery. Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from. haha
    Last edited by LowbanksArcher; December 9th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    You're talking to a guy who watched a dandy buck walk away at 33 yards this year because he's committed to shooting traditional archery. Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from. haha
    I hunted a few years with a 40lb long bow, never did get one in close enough. Watched a beauty doe wander past at 35 yards when hunting solo with my old crossbow as I was primarily hunting small game that weekend and left my Exomax at home.

Think about it though, if you did not restrict yourself you would not know if it were possible. Would I have kicked myself if I had no venison in the freezer this year, probably, but not I can say I have shot them with a crossbow, smoothbore shotgun and slugs, buckshot, rifled barreled shotgun, rifle and now patched round ball.

I did consider bringing the 410 along though :O, would have been limited to a similar range as the patched round ball.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Awesome work great read, enjoy the good eats .
    Thanks for sharing .

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast