Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NB poacher

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default NB poacher

What got my attention was the forty moose racks they confiscated.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartanntp

[COLOR=#333333]FREDERICTON — A man from northeastern New Brunswick has been given jail time and a lifetime ban from hunting and fishing following a nine-month poaching investigation in the province.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]Gilles Allain of Neguac has been fined $54,500 and sentenced to 156 days in jail for 27 violations under the Fish and Wildlife Act.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]He pleaded guilty to 12 counts of hunting moose out of season, seven counts of offering moose for sale, four counts of illegal possession of moose and four counts of possession without a cold-storage permit.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]Allain was one of six people convicted following what conservation officers labelled Operation Meat Bag in 2016.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]Allain has been given a lifetime ban from acquiring any permits or licences under the Fish and Wildlife Act and is also prohibited from being on Crown Land for two years.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]Officials seized two trucks, 40 moose racks and 25 rifles as part of their investigation.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 10, 2019.[COLOR=#333333][COLOR=#333333]The Canadian Press

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

A poached moose for every rack.

There are so many moose in NB, it's not that hard for hunters to fill a tag. Why someone would have to buy poached moose meat is beyond me.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

"Allain has been given a lifetime ban from acquiring any permits or licences under the Fish and Wildlife Act"

This always makes me laugh, I know they have to do it but do they really think banned a guy from legally hunting because he was poaching will deter him in the future? Glad the fines were hefty and the jail time might be deter him unless he finds more buyers for the poached moose in jail.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Losing hunting or fishing privliges for a year or so hurts far more than a monetary penalty. Not only can you not join the hunt with your guys but most are embarrassed because of it. And your friends know why.
    I've always wondered why we don't do more of that here in Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Losing hunting or fishing privliges for a year or so hurts far more than a monetary penalty. Not only can you not join the hunt with your guys but most are embarrassed because of it. And your friends know why.
    I've always wondered why we don't do more of that here in Ontario.
    For the normal guy maybe, but I’m not too sure it will slow this guy down. He seems pretty hardcore. Kinda like banning handguns for gangbangers !!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You're probably right about that. Fortunately the majority of poachers aren't the hard core type who abuse laws as this guy did. I think the average poacher has to get caught for the first time before they realize it's best to tow the line.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Him being prohibited from being on crown land has me baffled? Never heard of that one before?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    Him being prohibited from being on crown land has me baffled? Never heard of that one before?
    If that was his preferred way of bagging a moose he wouldn't be aloud back. It's like stealing from a store you will be band.

He should of gotten more than 3 months tho.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    If that was his preferred way of bagging a moose he wouldn't be aloud back. It's like stealing from a store you will be band.

He should of gotten more than 3 months tho.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the enlightenment on that FF?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    First time I have heard of that as well. Must be his hunting area. Makes since actually if you are not even allowed on the land easy to enforce if you see the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast