Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scugog walleye

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Scugog walleye

Hows the recovery been ?
    I blasted a post a few years ago when the natives were having a great time catching them. They will not recover without the help of everyone.

But anyway I have not fished the lake since before they closed the walleye. I seen the decline so I stopped going.
    What are your thoughts on on the population? If your a local or fish the crappies have you noticed a climb in numbers? Just read an article about it does not sound positive but it's been something I have been thinking about so I thought I would ask.
    Yes I know the walleye are closed just wanted to know if the numbers are improving or not. Gotta be some that catch the odd one accidentally.

What are your thoughts will they ever recover ?

We are seeing a decline in trout numbers and small ones on simcoe. The ministry works to slow so I hope they fix the problem before it gets worse.

https://lindsayadvocate.ca/whats-goi...ugogs-walleye/

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Don't know anything about Skugog but it takes at least a decade for a fishery to bounce back if its left alone. Supplemental plantings do help it along though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We still hit Lake Scugog for Bass and Muskie a lot over the summer. Bass hasn't been any roarin' hell,not like it used to be. There's still some monster Muskies in there,though. I hadn't hit Wallies in there for,at least,2 years BEFORE the closure and zero since. AFAIK,there's no plans to re-stock the lake. The way Trent-Severn draws down the water level every year to almost mud bogs,it's a wonder there's any fish,at all. I tried taking my boat across to the mouth of the Nonquon River to set up duck blinds and I was tossing up mud the entire way. My prop looked like it was polished. I can't believe the cottagers and home owners aren't screaming bloody blue murder.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Everything, walleye that is, that is being caught is mature adult fish. 5 lbs plus, with no yearling been seen or caught. The walleye fishery here has declined drastically over the past 10 years. Nothing to do with over fishing, but due to the fact of loss of spawning areas. With Scugog being a man made lake, the original spawning areas that were available for them to spawn have now silted in and there's no way they will ever open up again.

The only way we will ever see the walleye season open up again is if it becomes a put and take fishery. The MNR new this from the get go but coped out due to lack of funding and say they would have to put a moratorium on the fishery that might last 20 odd years or so to satisfy the general public.

As far as the rest of the fishery is concerned it's as good as it ever has been. That goes for bass, both large mouth and small mouth, muskies, and pan fish. The lake has changed, and the fish have adapted to the change.
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bo D View Post
    Everything, walleye that is, that is being caught is mature adult fish. 5 lbs plus, with no yearling been seen or caught. The walleye fishery here has declined drastically over the past 10 years. Nothing to do with over fishing, but due to the fact of loss of spawning areas. With Scugog being a man made lake, the original spawning areas that were available for them to spawn have now silted in and there's no way they will ever open up again.

The only way we will ever see the walleye season open up again is if it becomes a put and take fishery. The MNR new this from the get go but coped out due to lack of funding and say they would have to put a moratorium on the fishery that might last 20 odd years or so to satisfy the general public.

As far as the rest of the fishery is concerned it's as good as it ever has been. That goes for bass, both large mouth and small mouth, muskies, and pan fish. The lake has changed, and the fish have adapted to the change.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Don't know anything about Skugog but it takes at least a decade for a fishery to bounce back if its left alone. Supplemental plantings do help it along though.
    It been almost 10 years since I last went lol. Well 8 I think kinda miss it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    We still hit Lake Scugog for Bass and Muskie a lot over the summer. Bass hasn't been any roarin' hell,not like it used to be. There's still some monster Muskies in there,though. I hadn't hit Wallies in there for,at least,2 years BEFORE the closure and zero since. AFAIK,there's no plans to re-stock the lake. The way Trent-Severn draws down the water level every year to almost mud bogs,it's a wonder there's any fish,at all. I tried taking my boat across to the mouth of the Nonquon River to set up duck blinds and I was tossing up mud the entire way. My prop looked like it was polished. I can't believe the cottagers and home owners aren't screaming bloody blue murder.
    Yeah not many walleye around the areas you probably fish at the time you fish. Maybe in the spring but then the rest of the seasons would be closed .

Good luck on the musky next season.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Bo D

Thanks

Yeah the link I posted talked about the spawning areas. It's a shame to see a great fishery disappear. Should go and target the crappie but I was never into them. I like my perch ,walleye and whitties that's pretty much the only fish I will keep.

Simcoe only provides 2 of them, also always fresh never frozen rule I like to go by . I do freeze the odd bag but I try not to. Fish and eggs are my favorite when I get in off the ice only fish the morning bite so brunch is great [emoji106].

Some pics from spring ice lol. Not scugog

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That plate of fish and eggs looks awesome. I could almost taste them...That's one way to get some ones attention...
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice catch of perch and better still, that filleting knife on the left would look nice in my tackle box.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Nice catch of perch and better still, that filleting knife on the left would look nice in my tackle box.
    That wood grain one is some kind plastic not even sure of the name.. but it is one of my favorites found it at the thrift store for 10 bucks lol. I posted on a another forum last year to try and find a make as there are no markings or name on it. The other black one is just a nelle one . Not even sure why it was there maybe I was low on clean forks to hold the skin while I took the meat off lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast