Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerbelt expansion

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Powerbelt expansion

I recently bit the bullet and tried Powerbelts this season. For no real reason I had always just used Hornady bullet/sabot combos. I was impressed with the how easy they were to load and how accurate they were out of my CVA. However, the other day I decided to do a bit of research and found some videos of them being shot into ballistics gel. I was super disappointed with how they performed. Almost no expansion whatsoever in the video I watched.

Anyone find the same thing when shooting deer?
    Things that fly turn me on

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I've had some mixed results with Powerbelts. I've had perfect expansion but more cases of fragmentation and long tracking jobs. If I remember, I'll post some pics of ones I've recovered when I get home.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Can not comment on use-never tried them. However when i went into muzzle-loading,i was seriously considering them due of the easiness of use and good ballsitics.Just like You did Toddy.
    Then read reviews about them(most issue was fragmentation,long tracking job or no blood trail)

Internet is really great tool for researches.....so i shy away from them, from the get go.
    Last edited by gbk; December 17th, 2019 at 05:36 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I can't find them but I have 3 recovered powerbelt bullets here somewhere. None of which are mine because they shoot like crap out of my Traditions. They were quite nicely expanded to be close to the size of a loonie.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I use them never had a problem with tracking , no more than 10 yards. lol

User Info Menu

The one on the left is an unfired 270 grain Powerbelt platinum (the other 2 are the same bullet but fired obviously). The middle one came from the opposite hip of a doe at around 90 yards, hit slightly far back but she fell almost on the spot after staggering for a few moments.

The one on the right came from a buck at about 50 yards, quartering towards me a bit. The shot went in through the front shoulder and the fragments were found in the neck, lung and liver. He went down quickly but didn't die in a hurry.

Another one that I didn't recover the bullet from was a doe at about 75 yards, hit not far from the heart but there were two exit holes in less than ideal spots. She went around 700 yards and lived nearly 3 hours after the shot.

I've been meaning to switch to another load but haven't had much opportunity during the ML season to hunt in the last couple of years. If I was going to stick with Powerbelts for the convenience and accuracy I would probably try the heaviest ones I can get and go to a lighter charge. I'm using 2 50 grain T7 pellets now. My theory is slower and heavier might not fragment.

"where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    The one on the left is an unfired 270 grain Powerbelt platinum (the other 2 are the same bullet but fired obviously). The middle one came from the opposite hip of a doe at around 90 yards, hit slightly far back but she fell almost on the spot after staggering for a few moments.

The one on the right came from a buck at about 50 yards, quartering towards me a bit. The shot went in through the front shoulder and the fragments were found in the neck, lung and liver. He went down quickly but didn't die in a hurry.

Another one that I didn't recover the bullet from was a doe at about 75 yards, hit not far from the heart but there were two exit holes in less than ideal spots. She went around 700 yards and lived nearly 3 hours after the shot.

I've been meaning to switch to another load but haven't had much opportunity during the ML season to hunt in the last couple of years. If I was going to stick with Powerbelts for the convenience and accuracy I would probably try the heaviest ones I can get and go to a lighter charge. I'm using 2 50 grain T7 pellets now. My theory is slower and heavier might not fragment.

Are those the Arrolite or platinum bullets? The platinum are supposed to be designed for delayed expansion and magnum powder charges.

The ones I had recovered were the original green belted hollow points.

Just picked myself up a pack of Federal Borloks in the 350 grain lead to try.

I had stopped carrying my ML due to the utter disappointment I was getting in the performance of the hornady bullets.

If I cant get these new ones to work I will try the Traditions bullets next.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    Are those the Arrolite or platinum bullets? The platinum are supposed to be designed for delayed expansion and magnum powder charges.

The ones I had recovered were the original green belted hollow points.

Just picked myself up a pack of Federal Borloks in the 350 grain lead to try.

I had stopped carrying my ML due to the utter disappointment I was getting in the performance of the hornady bullets.

If I cant get these new ones to work I will try the Traditions bullets next.

What hornady bullets we're you using? I would shoot a bullet actually designed for a rifle. 300 grain 458 sierra hollow points or the 458 hornady ftxs are tough and reliable. Another positive is that they are much cheaper to buy in a box of 50. Use some mmp orange 458 sabots and you will be laughing. I have flung 100's of these from my smokeless mls and they just plain shoot. I find guys are always looking for bullets that just slide down the barrel which leads to things not going bang and inconsistency. Give them a whirl, I have some samples you could try.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The other I will mention is 458 TTSX. All copper and do a great job.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rippin_355 View Post
    What hornady bullets we're you using? I would shoot a bullet actually designed for a rifle. 300 grain 458 sierra hollow points or the 458 hornady ftxs are tough and reliable. Another positive is that they are much cheaper to buy in a box of 50. Use some mmp orange 458 sabots and you will be laughing. I have flung 100's of these from my smokeless mls and they just plain shoot. I find guys are always looking for bullets that just slide down the barrel which leads to things not going bang and inconsistency. Give them a whirl, I have some samples you could try.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    I've been using the SST bullets in the easier to load format. It's not that I'm looking into something that slides down the barrel but most standard bullet/sabot combinations are extremely difficult to load in my gun. After two shots 200lbs on the ramrod will not seat a standard combination.

With the SST bullets I have taken 3 deer, the first two were 50 cal entry and exit holes where the deer ran 100 yards and flopped. Both were heart shots. The third was far from spectacular, 60 yards quartering to, I went to the impact site and found the copper jacket laying on the ground. I chased that sob for half a mile before getting another crack at him and finishing the job. The shot would have killed him eventually but when that bullet hit the shoulder it blew apart and it looked as though the lungs were sprayed with bird shot. I can't see any reason for this as I run these bullets barely over 2000fps.

I certainly appreciate the advice and should these new bullets spray like I fear they might I will definitely give the sierras a shot. I just wish I had more reason to shoot but with one tag, no dedicated muzzleloader season and my inability to stop filling my cabinet I have many options.

Last edited by oaknut; December 18th, 2019 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast