Thread: How to keep an ice fishing hole open

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default How to keep an ice fishing hole open

I see rural firefighting access pipes hanging on marina bridges and at the roadside swamps.
    It would seem obvious that they remain unfrozen so the lads can extract water when needed.

Is there some simple science here that we can use to keep an ice fishing hole open day after day ?
    Be great not to have to cut the same hole in the shack everyday

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well the dry hydrants you see out there are just that, dry. The water is pumped up from below the frost line so freezing is not an issue.

I have tried a number of things from styrofoam to buckets to keep holes open with limited success. I think the best I've seen was a small turbulence generator that ran off a solar panel but in severe cold it too froze solid.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Just keep fishing and it shouldn’t freeze lol
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The simplest is cut the hole a bit larger at the top, deep enough that water fills the void, cover that with a piece of syrofoam then shovel snow over top that. Mark the hole with a stick or whatever so that nobody steps in it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If your in your shack you need a big hole.

Easy to clean and chip out just like the operators. Never really more than a inch over night as long as the hut is nice and banked in.

We used to a 2ft by 4 ft hole would last all winter with little work of a spud.

Just remember to mark the hole with a tree if you move.

Easy way is to drill 6 or 8 holes near each other then spud out the few inches between them.

Hope ya have a great season
    Stay safe

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Bigger hole it is >>>>>
    Merry Xmas lads

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Saw this on YouTube.
    Don't know if it will work for your application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfRozjE_U0

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BPR 30-06 View Post
    Saw this on YouTube.
    Don't know if it will work for your application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfRozjE_U0
    I have tried this and it will work however in the slightest breeze you risk cutting your line with the heat and 15 pounds of charcoal and some cans to carry out on the lake isn't worth the benefit.

How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    The simplest is cut the hole a bit larger at the top, deep enough that water fills the void, cover that with a piece of syrofoam then shovel snow over top that. Mark the hole with a stick or whatever so that nobody steps in it.
    Back in the day when friends of mine would set night lines, they would do something just like that. I kept telling them that was illegal, but they just told me "illegal" was a sick bird?