Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf - Coyote hunting caliber restriction ...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    It’s in the Essex Bylaws.
    Funny. The Regulations on pages 91 say the largest Calibre for Essex County is .275 Calibre.

Don't you think that should be different if the "By-law" says .243?
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Funny. The Regulations on pages 91 say the largest Calibre for Essex County is .275 Calibre.

Regardless of what the summary says the bylaw is quite clear:

https://www.essex.ca/en/town-hall/re...w_1070_acc.pdf

Part 1. j) on page 2:

j) “Permitted Firearm” means a compound-bow, cross-bow, long-bow,
    recurved bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, BB gun, pellet gun or rifle with a
    calibre no larger than .243 or 6 mm.;

Part 4. c) leaves some grey where shooting coyotes are concerned and Part 4. g) allows sighting in of larger calibres.
    Last edited by Species8472; January 5th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nope. Page 91 of The Summary is provincial legislation (FWCA) while the second is local municipal bylaw which town councils are allowed to do in variance to support their individual needs as they deem necessary from time to time. What municipalities aren't allowed to do is attach bylaws to federal law.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    Regardless of what the summary says the bylaw is quite clear:

https://www.essex.ca/en/town-hall/re...w_1070_acc.pdf

Part 1. j) on page 2:

j) “Permitted Firearm” means a compound-bow, cross-bow, long-bow,
    recurved bow, shotgun, muzzleloader, BB gun, pellet gun or rifle with a
    calibre no larger than .243 or 6 mm.;

Part 4. c) leaves some grey where shooting coyotes are concerned and Part 4. g) allows sighting in of larger calibres.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Nope. Page 91 of The Summary is provincial legislation (FWCA) while the second is local municipal bylaw which town councils are allowed to do in variance to support their individual needs as they deem necessary from time to time. What municipalities aren't allowed to do is attach bylaws to federal law.
    If the restriction is .243/6mm then it should say that on page 91. It's more helpful.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

If the restriction is .243/6mm then it should say that on page 91. It's more helpful.
    The regulation SUMMARY is just the coles notes. They haven been known to be wrong compared to the actual regulations.

They also don’t ever take into account local bylaws. My municipality has a no discharge at all bylaw. I’ve seen others near me with things like no discharge within 300 yards of a home unless it’s your own home etc etc.

Always check the bylaws where you plan to hunt, even up north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You have Federal, Provincial and Municipal rules, you have to look into all of them to be sure that you can hunt with that gun and where.

This is not new.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Sounds reasonable. More interesting still would be the reason for lowering the caliber below the provincial restriction of .275 down to .243. Was it the bullet weight and diameter, the size of the brass, the firearm’s range, the noise it makes, what possible reason might it be? I recall when I was out west being told of a child being killed after a .243 bullet that was shot at a deer ended up going through the wall of a house. You really have to wonder, at times, where they come up with their ideas on caliber restrictions.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Sounds reasonable. More interesting still would be the reason for lowering the caliber below the provincial restriction of .275 down to .243. Was it the bullet weight and diameter, the size of the brass, the firearm’s range, the noise it makes, what possible reason might it be? I recall when I was out west being told of a child being killed after a .243 bullet that was shot at a deer ended up going through the wall of a house. You really have to wonder, at times, where they come up with their ideas on caliber restrictions.

You don’t stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    It makes no sense at all, unless you think that it will lower poaching but a 243 is a lot more dangerous than a 9x19 carbine or a 44-40 or 44 mag.

There are some places that limit things to shotgun only, I have been told that Amherst island does not allow centerfire guns, I have not looked it up personally but met a guy who lives there and he told me this.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You have Federal, Provincial and Municipal rules, you have to look into all of them to be sure that you can hunt with that gun and where.

This is not new.
    I know you need to check them all, but since there are already County level( Sunday hunting/ Pheasant Rabbit permit) rules in the summery. The Calibre Restrictions are all printed on page 91, so would it be hard to just list the Essex Restriction as .243.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I know you need to check them all, but since there are already County level( Sunday hunting/ Pheasant Rabbit permit) rules in the summery. The Calibre Restrictions are all printed on page 91, so would it be hard to just list the Essex Restriction as .243.
    Regulations come out annually. By laws may be updated within that time frame which would make the information in the regs obsolete. Also staff would need to scan municipal by laws to ensure the regs match prior to printing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast