Thread: Callander Bay Report

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Callander Bay Report

Went out to try my luck today. Was out on the ice around 8 after a quick stop at Billy Bobs. Apparently guys are doing well in the last few days since season opened. I’ve been following ice reports from Kokemachine (thanks bud) so figured it was safe to walk out. In callander there is a good amount of water on the ice (1-2 inches). Also take note that there is a good pressure crack that is open 100 yards from the boat launch. It is crossable but careful going. I ended up fishing past all the huts in 22FOW. The vexilar marked lots but no takers. I dead sticked for awhile and set the hook into something but I’ll never know because the shank snapped (older hook i guess). I was out for 4 hours and no luck. Passed by again around 2pm
    and wouldn’t you know there’s a dumbass with his pickup buried in the pressure crack. Some guys never learn. Well it was a nice warm day and just nice to be out. Ice conditions did vary in the areas I punched holes. Some areas I measured 9 inches of black with 1-2 inches of white on top. Careful out there and let’s hope for some more cold to build up the ice. Ps. Good amount of huts out there, must be around 50 or more with lots waiting on shore.

birdbuff
    Attachment 39500

Attachment 39501

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

To bad about the one you lost.

Your pictures are broken but I received this ,this afternoon.
    Sent my dad the pic and yes he said it was at the crack. Always gotta be iffy around them I live on simcoe and it is a very common thing. Big cracks on simcoe open up every year I show some northern guys them and they are just in awww lol.

4 years ago I watched them build a 30 ft bridge to get the huts off . I took the long way around an extra 2km walk to hop across the smaller pieces. Planks are wonders when it opens up wide. It was a 100 ft wide in places . When they got the last hut I decided it was time to go and use the bridge back. Ice was 8 to 10 of black ice

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishfood; January 3rd, 2020 at 09:06 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How is nipissing for big cracks? I dont know I haven't iced there in 30 years I was just a kid so dont remember how bad they get there. Being a bigger lake I'm sure it gets a few nice ones.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post

Sent my dad the pic and yes he said it was at the crack. Always gotta be iffy around them I live on simcoe and it is a very common thing. Big cracks on simcoe open up every year I show some northern guys them and they are just in awww lol.

4 years ago I watched them build a 30 ft bridge to get the huts off . I took the long way around an extra 2km walk to hop across the smaller pieces. Planks are wonders when it opens up wide. It was a 100 ft wide in places . When they got the last hut I decided it was time to go and use the bridge back. Ice was 8 to 10 of black ice

I don't know if that little ice hut, can pull him out of that!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post

Ya just can’t fix stupid !!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My dad said he has his bobber tied to the back [emoji1787].

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbuff View Post
    Went out to try my luck today. Was out on the ice around 8 after a quick stop at Billy Bobs. Apparently guys are doing well in the last few days since season opened. I’ve been following ice reports from Kokemachine (thanks bud) so figured it was safe to walk out. In callander there is a good amount of water on the ice (1-2 inches). Also take note that there is a good pressure crack that is open 100 yards from the boat launch. It is crossable but careful going. I ended up fishing past all the huts in 22FOW. The vexilar marked lots but no takers. I dead sticked for awhile and set the hook into something but I’ll never know because the shank snapped (older hook i guess). I was out for 4 hours and no luck. Passed by again around 2pm
    and wouldn’t you know there’s a dumbass with his pickup buried in the pressure crack. Some guys never learn. Well it was a nice warm day and just nice to be out. Ice conditions did vary in the areas I punched holes. Some areas I measured 9 inches of black with 1-2 inches of white on top. Careful out there and let’s hope for some more cold to build up the ice. Ps. Good amount of huts out there, must be around 50 or more with lots waiting on shore.

birdbuff
    Attachment 39500

Attachment 39501
    Yeah, I got out to the Manitous on Friday. It was wet out there. There was about 10" out there.
    Kokemachine, 4 EEL FISHING!
    Check me out on Instagram or Youtube!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kokemachine View Post
    Yeah, I got out to the Manitous on Friday. It was wet out there. There was about 10" out there.
    Koke hows the fishing been ???
    Been looking for a fishing video [emoji3526]

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I didn't get a chance to fish until Friday. It's not as easy to sneak out these days with the newborn but I still got out. We caught a few throw back walleyes and a pike on day one and a pan full of perch on day 2. I'm about to post the report.
    Kokemachine, 4 EEL FISHING!
    Check me out on Instagram or Youtube!