Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium batteries AA price?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I currently have 3 cams out, just about to add a 4th.

I either have them set on 3 shot burst or video, with no delay. The only exception is when I put them on a mineral site, where I'll add a delay or get a thousand photos of the same deer. All 3 are different makes and ages, taking 4-8xAA. They are out 365 days a year, and I get thousands and thousands of photos/videos a year. On average I'd say a set of batteries lasts me 10-14 months. Regular Duracell or Energizer AA's, not lithium.

Unless you only check the cam every 3rd or 4th year (why wouldn't you want to see the pics?) I don't see any reason to use lithium AA's. Personally, I check my cams every few weeks and keep a set of batteries handy in case one of the cams is dead. I shoot for $0.50/cell on sale, which works out to around $10/year to keep all 3 cams happy.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Well isn't that enlightening. I wonder what that 12 volt plug is for on the bottom of my Stealth cam. A number of others have the 6V external battery option and others with solar to recharge them.
    Like I said, the ones I've owned. There's even a warning in the manual to not use 12V. Plus, even with a 12V external source jack that does not indicate the the circuit runs on 12V, seeing as digital circuitry runs on 5V you can be sure it's not a 12V system, likely a zener diode to knock the voltage down.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Moultrie sells a Solar Panel with a built in battery (both in 6v and 12v). They work great if your camera was out in an open area. Most of mine are in the bush areas and don't get enough sun light to work 100% effectively.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moultrie-MFA-1.../dp/B00AU6EE10
    Last edited by MikePal; January 6th, 2020 at 01:11 PM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The reason I went to Lithium batteries was that the output was 1.7 and the below freezing performance is supposed to be better.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    The reason I went to Lithium batteries was that the output was 1.7 and the below freezing performance is supposed to be better.
    When it gets real cold lithium batteries are the only ones that will keep on going. I go through my share of them for my security systems. Lithium gets me 6 months on my satellite systems, lucky to get 6 weeks with standard batteries during the winter.

The price point of a buck each is pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12