Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: spring bear

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Stewart View Post
    Ok “bear” with me on this one.

So while I have no doubt it would hold the weight, the question is, do I pull it out and (ab)use it as a game cart?
    I'd say so. "Bear" in mind, it depends on the terrain where you're hunting. The big advantage we found with this cart was the ground clearance. It clears rocks and brush nicely without too much effort. And the skinny tires and light weight body make it roll pretty effortlessly. Being fairly light is also nice when you have to flip it onto a trailer. See first pic here:
    https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...ow-Spring-Bear
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    I had one of those at my cottage for hauling stuff in behind my quad. ( This was before we built the road in).

The only thing I'll say is that the front axles / steering are the weakest points. It worked great until the wheels turned one too many times as they rolled over an obstacle. The metal eventually gave out. I removed the front wheels assembly, and rigged it up with the fixed rear wheels only, and used a piece of tubing to hitch the frame up.
    I definitely wouldn't want to use it regularly behind a quad. The few times that i did, i was being very careful. It is a "yard cart" after all. haha
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    You don't think female vs male effects the taste?
    Can't really comment on that as I've never shot a larger boar, that sow is my largest. Now during the rut I could see a boar tasting different and perhaps not being as tender. I think one of the main factors overall would be diet. Some buddies shot a 'dump" bear one year while out moose hunting and it was so strong you couldn't cook it in the house.

Cheers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
    Can't really comment on that as I've never shot a larger boar, that sow is my largest. Now during the rut I could see a boar tasting different and perhaps not being as tender. I think one of the main factors overall would be diet. Some buddies shot a 'dump" bear one year while out moose hunting and it was so strong you couldn't cook it in the house.

Cheers
    I have heard the old saying "you are what you eat " the same would hold true for a bear.
    Diet does effect the taste of any thing that you eat be it domestic or wild. Just think of diver ducks verses puddlers, Spruce Grouse verse Ruffed Grouse, free range chickens verses the bland tasting supermarket variety, wild and domestic turkey and the list goes on.
    Last edited by jaycee; January 22nd, 2020 at 01:20 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    I have heard the old saying "you are what you eat " the same would hold true for a bear.
    Diet does effect the taste of any thing that you eat be it domestic or wild. Just think of diver ducks verses puddlers, Spruce Grouse verse Ruffed Grouse, free range chickens verses the bland tasting supermarket variety, wild and domestic turkey and the list goes on.
    Yes diet has always effected taste.
    I shoot pigeons on farms, and they go to the pot.

Cleaning out pigeons from a city warehouse, and they go straight to the dumpster. Not even going to try them.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

http://ofah.convio.net/site/R?i=wAbCdf7aU8164d-GZ2CNog
    Here's a link if you want to add some more vocal support.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks for that link

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678