Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One for .270 fans !

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I would start reloading and fine tune it , with 180 Gr Woodleigh bullets

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Thank You Jaycee for posting it-interesting development.
    To many choices,not enough need,time and money...........but for the new shooter,this is clearly an option.

Hovewer,this thing will be tricky to shoot at close range for hunting, even with some high end bullets,mentioned above.
    Swift-A frame may shoot thru a deer as a solid bullet and leave a small hole,no blood=potentially resulting a lost animal.
    The Nosler-hmm ,this is my experience:the lead core separated from the copper cup hitting a bear at 60 yards.The 180 gr bullet almost fell completely apart,fired from 30-06.Not truly fastest /hardest caliber.
    Definitely a careful consideration is needed for proper bullet selection vs game vs distance vs where to actually aim ,with the bullet at hand....so to say.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

They could have stopped making newly designed cartridges a long time ago and it wouldn't have made an ounce worth of difference to hunters or the animals they hunt.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    They could have stopped making newly designed cartridges a long time ago and it wouldn't have made an ounce worth of difference to hunters or the animals they hunt.

Kinda agree-i think this is the same as the smart Phone craze.Every year or two new models-and EVERYONE needs to have it.............

The "kinda" is for:
    Some ,especially new folks ,do not know any difference between old and new designs-for them all design is "new".
    Then it would take away a reason from some ,to buy new stuff.
    Then it would take away jobs from some folks(designers ,sales etc)
    Then would take away a fun from many - discussing old vs new.........

All in all-You are 100% correct though.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

So we could be hunting with one cartridge and one gun ,
    and would not fight beside the campfire ....
    About who has the best equipment ....

Kinda agree-i think this is the same as the smart Phone craze.Every year or two new models-and EVERYONE needs to have it.............

The "kinda" is for:
    Some ,especially new folks ,do not know any difference between old and new designs-for them all design is "new".
    Then it would take away a reason from some ,to buy new stuff.
    Then it would take away jobs from some folks(designers ,sales etc)
    Then would take away a fun from many - discussing old vs new.........

All in all-You are 100% correct though.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alfoldivandor View Post
    So we could be hunting with one cartridge and one gun ,
    and would not fight beside the campfire ....
    About who has the best equipment ....

Not necessary-what GW11 said (as far i understood)is that the "existing"cartridges/calibers etc are just fine for all(shooter-game)no real need for new ones.
    There would be still the "forever and ever" debate about the:30-30 vs 308,Non Magnum vs Magnum,RAUM vs WSM,lever vs bolt,plastic vs wood..........etc.
    Last edited by gbk; January 22nd, 2020 at 06:27 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

At 9ne time the lowly 30-30 was new and a real hot rod, now it's considered nearly obsolete by many. I take delight in looking at some new stuff. Without the new we would still be throwing rocks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

User Info Menu

Not necessary-what GW11 said (as far i understood)is that the "existing"cartridges/calibers etc are just fine for all(shooter-game)no real need for new ones.
    There would be still the "forever and ever" debate about the:30-30 vs 308,Non Magnum vs Magnum,RAUM vs WSM,lever vs bolt,plastic vs wood..........etc.
    Right. I could use two or three cartridges that were all produced before 1970 to hunt anything on the continent and not be under or over gunned. I think what the fellow said above is possible (one gun one calibre for everything), but I would rather have a few different styles or rifle and a few different calibres to suit different types of hunting.

A 27 Nosler? I wouldn't even look twice at it. But, as Jaycee said, there will always be some that think it's what they need, and I guess that is enough to warrant the research and development that goes into it. It's nice to have options, and if someone showed up in camp with a new rifle chambered in 27 Nosler, it would make for some fun conversation and interesting debate. He would definitely be the guy with "something different" than the rest, but he wouldn't be killing anything deader than we are with our 308's, 30-06's, 30-30's, 243's and 270's. Also, if he forgot his ammo in camp, he'd be sitting out that day.

"where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes we all could still be shooting 30/30's or less, but it took men like Roy Weatherby and many other wildcatters to develop and create a need for some new and improved cartridges/calibers, creating jobs , keeping people happy that something new is on the market to spend money on.

The same can be said in the auto industry, why the need for newer designs and especially more and more horsepower in the engines, Why ?, because people want it and it sells, the same is said for the arms and ammo mfrs., people always want something newer and better.

This can also be said about fishing/ boating, we can all catch many varieties of fish from any tinny, so why do we need specialized bass, walleye , salmon boats, ski boats and more, because people want them and jobs are created, it all ties in.

Take a look at cameras, todays and what we had not long ago, this is what life and business is all about, newer , better, keeping people employed and enjoying themselves with newer equipment whatever it may be.
    Last edited by jaycee; January 22nd, 2020 at 09:15 PM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I agree with you ....
    But I like small house small car ...
    And a big vacation ( twice I took a year of from work ...)

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    Yes we all could still be shooting 30/30's or less, but it took men like Roy Weatherby and many other wildcatters to develop and create a need for some new and improved cartridges/calibers, creating jobs , keeping people happy that something new is on the market to spend money on.
    The same can be said in the auto industry, why the need for newer designs and especially more and more horsepower in the engines, Why ?, because people want it and it sells, the same is said for the arms and ammo mfrs., people always want something newer and better.
    Take a look at cameras, todays and what we had not long ago, this is what life and business is all about, newer , better, keeping people employed and enjoying themselves with newer equipment whatever it may be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post

This can also be said about fishing/ boating, we can all catch many varieties of fish from any tinny, so why do we need specialized bass, walleye , salmon boats, ski boats and more, because people want them and jobs are created, it all ties in.

True enough. It all comes down to want vs need. "Want" keeps people working and spending, and that's a good thing, to an extent.

Very few of the firearms I've bought in recent years were needed, I just had an itch to scratch or a niche to fill. Most of my hunting equipment would fall into the same category.

​- Ernest Hemingway

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast