Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 2020 Moose Dates

  1. #1
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default 2020 Moose Dates

    Checking on line yesterday concerning the hunting dates in Central Ontario for moose next year . To my surprise the tentative opening date for the moose hunt is October 24th Called the MNRF in
    Peterborough and was told that they have nothing to do with hunting dates, what a joke. Called OFAH also in Peterborough and the guy was very helpful. He was not aware of these dates but checked and confirmed that the possible date will be October 24th . He said the regulations state that the moose hunt must open on the Saturday closes to October 22nd . If this stands it would mean that the hunt would close probably Friday October 30th or Saturday October 31st .The problem here is that the deer hunt opens on the following Monday, November 2nd. I am sure this will affect many hunters like myself who hunt deer at one camp and moose at another.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Think itís happened before. Remember guys at our camp hunting moose the week before deer opened. I think....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saskfly View Post
    Think it’s happened before. Remember guys at our camp hunting moose the week before deer opened. I think....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's been set up like that for a few years now!

  5. #4
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    It would end on Friday the 30th. Yeah that will suck. Because of work I'll come home from moose on the Friday morning, work Saturday and head up for deer on Sunday. That's our normal go in day for deer. Just enough time to get your clothes washed. Still wish it opened the 3rd Monday of October. The CO's that came into moose camp told us all the young guys hollered for a Saturday opener so they could hunt the weekend if they didn't have holidays.

  6. #5
    Getting the hang of it

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cramadog2 View Post
    It would end on Friday the 30th. Yeah that will suck. Because of work I'll come home from moose on the Friday morning, work Saturday and head up for deer on Sunday. That's our normal go in day for deer. Just enough time to get your clothes washed. Still wish it opened the 3rd Monday of October. The CO's that came into moose camp told us all the young guys hollered for a Saturday opener so they could hunt the weekend if they didn't have holidays.
    Thats BS because most of the "young guys" would have to travel that Saturday to get to their hunting grounds. They tried saying it gives people extra days to hunt but it actual cuts them back. Most people will travel on that Saturday especially if they are using an outfitter ie Sat to Sat. I question as to why they didnt pick the sat before then? My area (48) used to always open the third Monday in October. Next year will be tough to hit opening day for deer after coming home after the moose week. All they did was push the opener back farther after the rut. My guess is it probably wont matter unless we draw a tag lol.
    Last edited by cricket; November 22nd, 2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Life is a Hiway, enjoy the Ride :cool:

  7. #6
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The "closest Saturday to 22October" may apply to a specific WMU, but doesn't seem to apply to entire Ontario province. Following are tentative 2020 moose hunt dates vary depending on your WMU:
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/tentativ...unting-seasons

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kappa8 View Post
    The "closest Saturday to 22October" may apply to a specific WMU, but doesn't seem to apply to entire Ontario province. Following are tentative 2020 moose hunt dates vary depending on your WMU:
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/tentativ...unting-seasons
    They pushed the dates back a week to help protect the bulls.

  9. #8
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    They pushed the dates back a week to help protect the bulls.
    Wouldn't it be more consistent and make a lot more sense if it were to open 16 days prior to the traditional deer opener ( first Monday in Nov. ) which would always leave a week in between

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster View Post
    Wouldn't it be more consistent and make a lot more sense if it were to open 16 days prior to the traditional deer opener ( first Monday in Nov. ) which would always leave a week in between
    The wives might have something to say about that...they count on their a-hole being away at Thanksgiving..
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster View Post
    Wouldn't it be more consistent and make a lot more sense if it were to open 16 days prior to the traditional deer opener ( first Monday in Nov. ) which would always leave a week in between
    Why should the management of moose have to be connected to the management of deer?

    I know of times that would have been great to have moose run right up beside deer, in Eastern Ontario people hunt moose and deer on the same property, just hunt one week for moose then the next for deer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •