Thread: Simcoe January 24th

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Simcoe January 24th

Well I decided I would head back out to where I was on Wednesday. Seen a report that the main area I fish had less ice so I took the safer route and fished where I had already been. Fishing was definitely slower but with an east wind It was kinda of expected .

Had my first holes punched at 745 fifteen minutes in I lost the first at the hole. Some how the fish hit the ice and my hook ended up sticking into the bottom of the ice. Another hour went by and finally convinced a small nice 21 inch for dinner. .

A short time later I contacted his big brother a big fat 27 inch that I put back after a quick measure. Guess he told all his friends to stay away as shortly after the fish stopped coming around. By 1030 am and no signs of life under me 30 minutes it was time to move .

Fished one spot for 15 minutes and nothing I think was too deep so I continued on. Stopped at the next spot and fished another hour marked a few and just before I was about to go I landed the 3rd of the day. Another 27 inch but skinny so I bleed her out and packed it in for another fun morning.

Had some running around to do so I came picked up the better half and headed for lunch down by the water. Went over to the local Walmart took my bibs off and packed some snow on the fish. After Walmart we had to hit up the bank ran into an a long time fishing buddy, we haven't fish together in years but spent a few years fishing together for cooks bay pike many years ago. Anyway we talked for a few minutes and learned about where they are slamming the whitties. Told him I just got off the ice with a limit he mentioned he was heading out today no matter the weather and said he was dying for a whittie dinner. So at the bank he withdrew a whittie from my trunk for dinner [emoji54]. Nice deal head to bank and now he has a fresh whittie for dinner lol.

So by the time I was home I only had the 1 small 21incher left to clean [emoji106][emoji848].

Had a great traditional beer batter fish and chips dinner. For something new when I was cutting around the bottom belly fins I decided to try eating it. I always just toss them but it has a fair bit of meat on it so I decided to cook up the belly fins too. It was a very tasty peice of fish and I will be keeping more of them. We did it the the walleye this summer they call them wings on the walleye not what I would call on the whitties but it looked like a giant fly when it was all cooked up.

Hopefully every stays safe this weekend its probably pretty nasty out there after all the rain we got. Hopefully next week I can make it to my spot.

The ice I found was 4 to 6 inches. Another group out there reported a spot with 3 if that. An atv came out there not a wise idea just never know when he will hit that thin spot.

Good luck and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fishfood; January 25th, 2020 at 11:09 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report. You're a good guy to give up that fish!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice vid and fish
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Thanks for the report. You're a good guy to give up that fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    Nice vid and fish
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Good job!
    Things that fly turn me on