Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scopes for slug guns

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    or a saddle....I've had one on my 870 for many years works great.

This one provides for sight thru base..kind of handy

https://www.amazon.ca/Trinity-Alumin...NB7KYPTG0FK7WC
    Those may or may not work, depends on the model and how much play in the receiver.

Were you shooting sabot slugs or just for the turkey gun?

I wanted to get one for the turkey gun at one point but learned to like the double bead.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

or a saddle....I've had one on my 870 for many years works great.

This one provides for sight thru base..kind of handy

https://www.amazon.ca/Trinity-Alumin...NB7KYPTG0FK7WC
    I have one on my 870 12 gauge, set up for turkeys. I found I had to sight in again when shooting rifled slugs, so I went with my dedicated 20 gauge deer gun.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Hard to rationalize spending $400 on a scope..
    I agree but a good red dot is $200 to start. The scope I’m looking at is $300. I have $100 Christmas gift cards to add to the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob

CSSA/CFFR/OFAH

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

GW that‘s why I asked if what your plans for mounting scope, ideally a cantilever is the way to go but doesn’t sound like that’s what you have and I’m sure that’s an expensive way if they even make such a barrel for a mossy. Is the gun drilled and tapped?? If not a saddle mount is the only way to go, they are fine, I have used them in the past. Again it’s a pain ether way to take scope off and set up again before deer season. Maybe make one of you or your sons a dedicated deer/slug gun and the other for smoothbore applications?? I guess that wouldn’t work if you both need a smoothbore at the same time for small game or whatever.

Maybe just stick with the iron sights if it has them??
    Last edited by duckslayer; January 27th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes it is drilled on the receiver. I have a friend who just marked the scope to the rail on his receiver and he takes it off and carefully puts it back on. I took my deer with it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The barrel does have sights.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Yes it is drilled on the receiver. I have a friend who just marked the scope to the rail on his receiver and he takes it off and carefully puts it back on. I took my deer with it.
    This just don`t seem right, maybe I am reading it wrong but if you are not re-sighting, you are risking a lot.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yes we retest it and each time it is still on. He marked where the cope was sitting so when he puts it back on we just go test it 3 years now and it is always on.

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    This just don`t seem right, maybe I am reading it wrong but if you are not re-sighting, you are risking a lot.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Yes we retest it and each time it is still on. He marked where the cope was sitting so when he puts it back on we just go test it 3 years now and it is always on.
    The issue is not only where the scope sits, but more so how the barrel mates with the receiver when you put it back on. But if the system works and you check the zero before hunting, then you should be fine. When I was using a saddle mount on my 870 with a rifled barrel I mostly used it as a dedicated deer gun. But whenever I switched barrels it would take many shots to get the gun back to zero. At over $3 a shot, it was costing me a lot, so I ended up buying a rifled barrel with a cantilever mount. The other rifled barrel is used with the open sights, although I don't even hunt deer with a shotgun anymore.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

any CF scope will work or dedicated shotgun scope, parallax is the only difference, pin the barrel to the receiver, if you're going to be changing barrels

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast