Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35 Remington Heavy

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

OK, so I went out this AM with 2 rounds of 34 grs H4895 and 4 of 36.1 grs and fired all of them. Everything went well and the rounds were accurate into my rudimentary piece of 4x4 at apprx 25 yds. No pressure signs whatsoever and not bad recoil. I can't see these 225 gr Sierra not producing any form of mushrooming within 100 yds, and 100 yds is a far shot in the Ontario woods.

PP

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

As for above, I mean that the bullet can't be that friggan hard that it doesn't mushroom even a little.

PP

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawam pionki View Post
    As for above, I mean that the bullet can't be that friggan hard that it doesn't mushroom even a little.

PP
    Most are designed to open up enough for hunting purposes down to about 1800fps, at 100 yards from a 35 rem and a 225gr bullet you will probably be pushing that minimum. The reason bullets are made for the 35 rem, 30-30, 357 mag, etc., is because of their reduced velocity and therefore designed to open up at that reduced velocity.

Just like 35 rem bullets run up at 3000fps will fragment, a heavy bullet designed for a 35 whelen at 35 remington velocities will struggle to expand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123