Thread: Coyote - No Season (Minden)

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Coyote - No Season (Minden)

I was recently granted permission to hunt a property in Minden (WMU56). Over the past couple of weekends I've done some scouting while rabbit hunting on the prop and it seems the most abundant critter roaming these parts is coyote. Rabbit and deer signs are scarce but Coyote tracks everywhere. I checked the regs for Coyote season in the area and it states: No Season for Minden (along with a pile of other towns). That helps to explain the limited signs for rabbit/deer. Checking previous reg. publications it seems this has been the case since at least 2017. I assume the MNRF makes the call on when a season might be opened up again in an area. How does this work? I'd really like to give an advantage to the deer and rabbit in the area by knocking a few yotes down.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

So they shut it down in a bunch of areas because of a controversial report. Basically saying the wolf’s and coyotes interbreed and created a new species.

If you can get it opened back up again lots of trappers and hunters would buy all the beer you can drink.

https://furmanagers.com/wp-content/u...ns-english.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with wanting to hunt coyotes, however, it won't really benefit deer numbers. Not sure about rabbits.

https://www.themeateater.com/conserv...oyote-invasion

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris915 View Post
    Nothing wrong with wanting to hunt coyotes, however, it won't really benefit deer numbers. Not sure about rabbits.

Anyone who has hunted area 73 or 74A for the past 25 years or so would beg to differ with that article. Used to be lots of deer and no coyotes, now lots of coyotes and almost no deer.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Deer in that area most likely yard up for the winter so that is why you are not seeing much deer tracks unless the property you are scouting is a deer yard. As for the Snowshoe hares, they usually go up and down based on their 10 year cycle so we may be in a low year of the cycle. Did you run in to any bunnies?

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Saskfly, Chris915 thanks for the additional reading. I hadn't looking that far into the regs yet. Just makes me wonder if they'll ever get around to re-visiting the matter. I'll reach out to the local MNRF office.
    GW11, the group I hunt with has witnessed exactly what you've described in 77B & 76C. Abundance of coyotes and limited deer/rabbit. We've hunted those areas for 20+ years and it used to be the other way around.
    I did scare up 1 showshoe over 2 outings and I covered a lot of area (with a buddy). I hoping that the rabbits may just be in a low cycle as you mentioned.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I’m just one township away from the ban. Don’t let anyone tell you predators don’t effect the deer numbers. People who say they don’t have never hiked in to a deer yard in the winter. One in our area is right by one of my favourite lakes and I see fresh deer kill almost every week in the winter. Unfortunately that’s in the township where they ban wolf hunting. On the other hand one of my friends traps and hunts wolves and coyotes on his property (in a township where it’s aloud) and his gang has 100# success rate. It pretty simple wolfs and coyotes have to eat 24/7 and they’re not going to MD’s for supper.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris915 View Post

very much beg to differ... coyotes are responsible for 50% of fawm mortality and also do a number on deer when snow is deep and deer are worn down and vulnerable... its a disgrace this "algonquin wolf" coyote hunting ban has been in place and as far as im concerned one of the biggest errors ive seen the MNR make - but they got dragged into it from the tree hugging lefties from Toronto and the likes of david suzuki and caved to the pressure...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kokes View Post
    very much beg to differ... coyotes are responsible for 50% of fawm mortality and also do a number on deer when snow is deep and deer are worn down and vulnerable... its a disgrace this "algonquin wolf" coyote hunting ban has been in place and as far as im concerned one of the biggest errors ive seen the MNR make - but they got dragged into it from the tree hugging lefties from Toronto and the likes of david suzuki and caved to the pressure...
    Very true, I don’t even validate them by calling them Algonquin wolves, they’re eastern grey wolves. And they definitely aren’t endangered, I could see how the tree huggers could think they are though seeing that you probably wouldn’t see too many downtown Toronto.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunter06 View Post
    Very true, I don’t even validate them by calling them Algonquin wolves, they’re eastern grey wolves. And they definitely aren’t endangered, I could see how the tree huggers could think they are though seeing that you probably wouldn’t see too many downtown Toronto.
    More and more are showing up all the time......and that's a good thing. Now,if we could just ship in a few Black Bears......
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.