Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New crossbow

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Thank you this is the kind of advice I was looking for, do I really have to get those limb silencers and stuff, I cant find info on that. I don't mind as this will end up being the only bow I will own, but want to learn every thing I can to maintain and keep it for my life.As well what is the best distances to practice on for deer.
    Never resent growing old, Many do not get the chance.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by severn don View Post
    Thank you this is the kind of advice I was looking for, do I really have to get those limb silencers and stuff, I cant find info on that. I don't mind as this will end up being the only bow I will own, but want to learn every thing I can to maintain and keep it for my life.As well what is the best distances to practice on for deer.
    There is no hard set of rules on practicing Don-as long as You can consistently HIT a pie plate,You are good to practice at.

BUT-please remember,the deer are not MOTIONLESS paper targets,and you will be shooting being all EXCITED, on a live being.
    That said ,practice as far as you feel you are happy with,BUT refrain from shooting at the deer more then 30 yards or so.

Of course-here on the forum are many different strong opinions about this aspect,so it is eventually your call........but the deer deserve respect,and picking a fair distance is one sign of a respect.
    You will have lots of fun.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Great story on how you came to have this crossbow! Congrats on the new toy and deer season extender!

I'll echo what some of the others have already said. Practice however you like, it's fun to see how well and how far the crossbow will shoot accurately. Just keep in mind that hunting situations have many variables and the closer you keep your shots, the less those variables can come into play. I would set up your hunting spots for 20 - 25 yard shots, and make 30 your maximum until you're more comfortable with knowing when you can stretch a shot a bit. You'll get used to reading the body language of deer.

Don't worry about the gimmicks like sound dampeners, etc., the crossbow will be loud in any case so it really won't make a practical difference.

Of course, when it comes to using archery gear, you have to be patient with shot angles. You can't punch a crossbow bolt through a shoulder bone like you can with a bullet.

As mentioned, the Excalibur forum is a great resource to learn, and there are plenty of threads in the bow hunting forum here that would be of interest to you.

Best of luck, and of course keep asking questions here as well!

Edit: One of the most important things to remember is to make sure your broadheads are going where you want them to. Field tips can sometimes fly very differently than your hunting broadheads. I set aside one broadhead for practice only and use it to sight in with for hunting.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GW11; February 10th, 2020 at 07:22 PM.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by severn don View Post
    T do I really have to get those limb silencers and stuff, I cant find info on that.
    I assume you have hunted for deer many years with a rifle, in such you must have had seen cases where just the smallest click of the safety has caused a deer to bolt. I lost a deer once who heard my glove fall from my knee to the ground .

Crossbows are a horrendously noisy piece of hunting equipment and efforts to try and silence them is rather fruitless. They will hear the bow the moment you pull the trigger and the energy is transferred from the bow to the arrow. So you have to have done all you can to know what you and your xbow are capable of and make sure your shot is well within those limits before you decide to pull the trigger.

Chances are slim you will ever get a second shot, so noise isn't really an issue. If you did everything else right, you won't need a second shot.
    Last edited by MikePal; February 10th, 2020 at 07:30 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That was very nice of her, sounds like your family is awesome....
    Best of luck with the bow
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Thanks guys yes i have only rifle hunted and always in the deep woods. I know that all my shots have been under fifty yards. i want to do this right and learn and have confidence in myself and equipment. As i do in my rifle. So yes i appreciate you for letting me lean on everybody's knowledge here. As with every thing else, threw the years you all have helped me. Yes Fratri i can not state enough she has always been there for me and others the best. Once again thanks all Don
    Never resent growing old, Many do not get the chance.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I shoot all my bows the way they came. Get yourself a good target,you might need two one for broadheads and one for field points.Bulldog makes a good target and rinehart 18x1 is another.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Death by Bungee on youtube has some good insite on Xcal crossbows, check him out......
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Best and cheapest target that I us is a box full of rags. Easy to get arrow out and cheap.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE View Post
    Best and cheapest target that I us is a box full of rags. Easy to get arrow out and cheap.
    But no good for broadheads.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast