Thread: Solo Fishing 🎣🎣🎣

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Solo Fishing 🎣🎣🎣

In our upcoming April 2020 issue, we're featuring a piece on one angler's solo fishing checklist. We'd like to know your favourite spots to fish, what species you look for, and any special gear you need. What do your lone trips look like, and where do you like to go?
    Last edited by MeghanOOD; February 27th, 2020 at 11:47 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Administrator

User Info Menu

My solo trips in recent years have usually been ones that are only a short drive from home, because of the commitments to having a young family. Here's a tip for those fortunate to close enough to natural resources — keep a rod/reel and a bit of tackle in your trunk for those infrequent occasions when you can squeeze a few minutes of shorefishing into your busy schedule. Sometimes these opportunities can make all the difference when you are longing for your next fishing adventure.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I love fishing with my kids and/or my grand kids, but when it comes time to get away on my own I travell with a couple of pack rods. A four piece spinning rod with an ABU Cardinal 3 reel and a four piece 4 weight fly rod. Reel is not important on the fly rod, as it's just a line storage device. I carry a back pack, a one burner stove, frying pan and a Bivouac Tent.
    I'm chasing Brook Trout and usually draft out a loop that might take in a couple of creeks, a river and three or four lakes in the Almaguin Highlands. I have stocking lists and maps dating back to the 50's, but have kept them up to date. It's amazing how many lakes that were once stocked with Specks, are now stocked with Splake, or even worse, rainbows. I guess our pocket lake are warming up too much to hold Brook Trout now.
    I'll take take three or four days to complete my loop and end up back at the truck. I always go at my speed and never feel rushed.
    One time I got to my first lake (wearing a teeshirt) and there was still ice on the sheltered pond. I could jump out over the two feet of open water and punch a hole in the ice with my fist.
    One tip I will share, when chasing last ice Brookies, fish the shoreline. I had only eight inches of water under the ice and the fishing was great. I think the trout are drawn into the warmer shoreline with insects waking up in the mud.
    Oh ya, you asked about locations! Well I can recommend Lake X and Goinbackagain River.
    Last edited by TroutSlayer; February 24th, 2020 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Mostly Shpeiling
    TS

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Here is my pick for solo trip destination:

For a road-trip spot that's cheap and easy, with lots of places to explore, I would suggest Carling township, just North of Parry Sound.
    Take Hwy 400 North, then Exit 241 (Nobel) and follow the road West.
    You can either head to Killbear Provincial Park to set up a base, or drive farther west and launch a boat, canoe or kayak at Dillon Cove Marina.
    Now you're on gorgeous water without too much boat traffic. Awesome islands all around, some of them uninhabited. (Check the Carling township satellite map for privately owned parcels)

The waters nearby are generally no deeper than 30-40 feet so you can catch walleye, catfish, muskie, lots of smallmouth bass and pike, sunfish, etc. You can head farther out of the sheltered islands into Georgian Bay if you're after lake trout and salmon if you have a bay-worthy boat.

Even though this spot is protected by hundreds of islands, watch the weather. The wind can pick up very quickly and you might be stuck on an island waiting it out. Bring all your safety gear. Cell reception is good in this area.
    Respect the area's islands and clean up after yourself.