Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hunting rifles and big game at distance

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gbk View Post
    Right on MikePal and Werner-the energy of any bullet drops with the distance.Regardless of the powder charge, bullet weight ,BC etc.They all impact the bullet energy at any distance,yet the energy is which assures ,the bullet can do its job.
    The recommended energy of 1700 lbs/sq inch -elk,1500-moose and 1000 - whitetail,has a goal to assure lethal penetration/proper bullet performance even if heavy bones are hit.
    At long ranges having enough of it is iffy at best.
    Hitting a small area at long distances is "maybe" for the 1-2% of shooters out there . If ...
    Apparently the 6.5 can get it done as well. Pretty impressive, not many running off after being hit

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Apparently the 6.5 can get it done as well. Pretty impressive, not many running off after being hit
    If we compare the 6.5Creedmore with the .270Win,we see that they're virtually identical when comparing the same bullet type and weight.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    If we compare the 6.5Creedmore with the .270Win,we see that they're virtually identical when comparing the same bullet type and weight.
    I'm not familiar at all with the 6.5x284, but yes it spits out the same bullets as the creedmore. Impressive results though.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Hi Canadaman-not challenging You or anything.......we all have opinions and love to "present" or"stand up"for something.
    I started to watch the video supplied and stopped when-lo and behold,the mountain goat which was shot at long range-and rolled downhill-rolled of from the hill and somehow FALL right in FRONT of the camera!!!???
    The video does show long range hits(until i watched it)and showed all along the same scope.So-this video is made not about hunter skills ,this is about how to sell a scope(likely expensive and intended for long range shots).

At the other hand 6.5 Creedmore has 889 ft/sq inch eneargy AT 800 yards!With Win AccuBond 142 gr bullet (which per Win Ballistic Calculator is intended for Big Game Long Range )Where the energy goes at 1250 y is just a guess.Even Win does not bother to show any ballistics after 800 y.

We already somewhat discussed on this thread the energy needed to harvest an animal.

Anyway,to each their own..........cheers.
    Last edited by gbk; February 16th, 2020 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Although they used the same kind of scope, they also used a 6.5x284 cartridge for most to all the shots. Regardless to a rifle scopes capabilities, the combination of rifle, cartridge, scope and operator shows what can be accomplished. To each their own for sure. The goat rolling down the hill is purely for entertainment. It's no different than watching a hunting show on TV, you will never see a dead deer with its tongue hanging out. Do they cut it off or jam it down their throat, as I've never had a dead deer without the tongue hanging out..lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I'd like to do the same...he has a heck of an CV: Randy Brockman does have a long history..built his first rifle in when he was 15...54 yrs ago. He was also reloading at that age. He got a degree in gunsmithing (2 yrs college) and mentored under Les Bowman (Remington). Even worked for Sierra Bullets as a tool and die maker. Also worked under Don Burris designing scope mounts etc.
    Who is Randy Brockman ???, there was a Randy Selby that worked for Speer Bullets .

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

How often do you think an animal is going to stay still after shooting at it 7 times?...lol
    gunna assume you have never hunting out west.
    can take a lot of shots from 500 to 1000 yards as a animal trouts up a hill side in sage brush when it has zero clue where the shots are coming from and keeps stopping.
    and that's where a good range finder and spotter is more important then the trigger man.
    or is along a cliff and has to cover a mile before it has a chance to run away and not just parallel to the shooter.
    some moose will stand there and not move at 100 yards after being missed.
    I'm talking from experiences, your talking from what you have seen on tv so you are defiantly right

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    gunna assume you have never hunting out west.
    can take a lot of shots from 500 to 1000 yards as a animal trouts up a hill side in sage brush when it has zero clue where the shots are coming from and keeps stopping.
    and that's where a good range finder and spotter is more important then the trigger man.
    or is along a cliff and has to cover a mile before it has a chance to run away and not just parallel to the shooter.
    some moose will stand there and not move at 100 yards after being missed.
    I'm talking from experiences, your talking from what you have seen on tv so you are defiantly right
    I dont watch hunting shows on tv..lol
    I guess if you have alot of experience at missing game, that says it all...lmao...
    Last edited by canadaman30; February 17th, 2020 at 07:58 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

these are guides with clients doing the missing like that, that watch these you tube things and think they are snipers.
    yes ive missed with a rifle, missed a goat at 100 yards broad side, perfect situation rushed the shot for no reason. yesterday was shooting my new 300 wsm and at 400 yards shot a 3 inch group, but I would put money on it I aint shooting a 3 inch group after climbing the side of a mountain in a hunting situation. ive heard way more stories of people that shoot 600 yards and miss when in reality they have zero clue where there gun shoots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    these are guides with clients doing the missing like that, that watch these you tube things and think they are snipers.
    yes ive missed with a rifle, missed a goat at 100 yards broad side, perfect situation rushed the shot for no reason. yesterday was shooting my new 300 wsm and at 400 yards shot a 3 inch group, but I would put money on it I aint shooting a 3 inch group after climbing the side of a mountain in a hunting situation. ive heard way more stories of people that shoot 600 yards and miss when in reality they have zero clue where there gun shoots.
    Their not missing shots on the videos posted, so what are you trying to proove besides attack on people more skilled then yourself obviously? For all the guys you talk about missing that have no clue where their rifle shoots, imo those are the unethical hunters , not the guys who can connect..