Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for used atv

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Avoid Arctic Cat(Textron), Polaris and Canned Ham like the plague. Honda, Yamaha Suzuki and Kawasaki's are far more reliable. Stick your finger in the exhaust and feel for any oily residue. On cold start up, watch for the blue puff of smoke or white exhaust. Blue can be worn rings and valve guides. White can be burning rad fluid. Dinged up plastic parts can point to abuse although minor scratches, etc are fair game. Dings and dents in the rims can point to "hold my beer and watch this" type of use. Oversize tires often lead to wrecked bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends. Snorkels are another dead giveaway to playing submarine in the swamps.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Make an automatic search on Kijiji unless your in the Ottawa area than don't as I am also looking for another ATV

Apprentice

User Info Menu

well i just went through what your about to I ended up buying a older cat 2008 650 trv h1 it was a trade in at a dealer good price for a two up I was leaning towards a Suzuki but found them on the high side for year and miles on them , honda same boat when I did see one it was gone . lust as someone else said treat it as a used car if it looks like it been rode hard and put away wet then it must have been

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have generally found that when you buy something exclusively according to price, cheap = questionable product. When I bought my 09 Yamaha Grizzly, I could have had a similar Pooplaris for about $2000 less. I was advised to steer clear of the Poop's, the money you feel you save will burn holes in your wallet for repairs.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Used Honda’s are expensive and sell quick for a reason........... I personally wouldn’t consider any other brand but that is my OP, moose group (when it was still together) was 95% Honda’s, the 5% who didn’t have Hondas were always the ones with issues.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Love my Polaris. Mind you I bought new but have no reason to sell it. Polaris is quite popular in these woods....
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The prevailing sentiment..stay away from Arctic Cats.....costly to maintain. Honda's hold their price well because they are worth it and everyone knows it so you can ask more. Same as Toyota and Honda cars/suv/trucks.
    I think it depends on the model.

I had a basic Arctic Cat 400 Core, non-EPS, single cylinder carbed, and quite honestly, it was damn near bullet proof.

The engines are made ( or were at the time) by Kymco, who also make engines and components for BMW, Kawasaki, and a few others.

Simple machine, that never let me down. Of course I then sold it to buy my SXS.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Polaris makes a great machine. The most comfortable by far, quite stable and the best out of the bunch in snow. Unfortunately the new ones are following Can am down the electrical rabbit hole.

Can am, just, no.... bad frames, bad electrical, can not repair without 10K in tools. They do go like a bugger when they go.

I currently run a beat to snot Cat. 2005 650V2. This thing has been beat and worked like no machine should ever be. The machine had its share of issues but I could make all the repairs myself. No special tools needed. The reason I haven't traded up is the stability. I can sit on my seat and traverse a side hill and nobody aside from the brute force will follow, no matter how hard they lean.

If I had to buy new today, Polaris. I am hopeful of the day Yamaha puts their new SXS power plant in the grizz, I'd have one here the next day.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Stick to Honda or Yamaha. They go forever and are extremely reliable. The 400 class “utility “ ones aren’t what the sport riders tend to buy and beat on. Many ( like myself) only use them minimally during moose/deer hunts. Mine is a 1999 and still runs and looks great.
    my 1999 Yamaha Big Bear does things I won’t even list as most wouldn’t believe it. Let’s just say dragging out moose “whole” or a deer on the back rack is not a problem.
    we had a guy with an Arctic Cat hunt with us. It spent 4 days dead in the bush and we dragged it home after the hunt.
    Last edited by terrym; February 19th, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

pull the seat off and have a look under there. muddy/dirty, its been in deep.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast