Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington Heavy

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default 35 Remington Heavy

Hello, I recently loaded 225 gr Sierra Game Kings for my 35 Rem. with 36.1 grs H4895. Any handloaders out there that can tell me
    what this combo is going to do in terms of speed and energy in my Marlin 336 RC ?

PP

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You are right around max, so should be close to the book but every gun will be different, even the same exact gun as rifling wear will change things.

Are you looking to build a ballistics chart? You can just shoot at different ranges and record that.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

No ballistic chart or anything like that Fox, just curious what the speed and energy will most likely be since there's nothing on the internet that shows it. I'm sure it'll be safe in the Marlin.

PP

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I assume you got this load from a reloading book? Most reloading books list the velocity along with the load, but as mentioned, that will be specific to the rifle used by the publisher. You might have to interpolate between data points, but it should give you an idea though. I don't have access to my books right now, but if you still need the info later today, I can check.

Edit:
    The Hodgdon website lists the following:
    24" barrel, 220 grains bullet
    MAX LOAD: H4895 - 36.3 grains - 2,010 fps - 33,600 CUP

Yours will likely be a bit slower, but possibly higher pressure due the the slightly heavier bullet. Personally I would back down on that load, unless you've already verified that it is safe in your gun (and that it is very accurate).
    Last edited by rf2; January 31st, 2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added info

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawam pionki View Post
    No ballistic chart or anything like that Fox, just curious what the speed and energy will most likely be since there's nothing on the internet that shows it. I'm sure it'll be safe in the Marlin.

PP
    As rf2 said, what manual were you using?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Actually, I was using the Lee loading guide that comes with the die set. It said max. 36.3 grs for 220 gr bullet. So I backed it off .2 grs.

PP

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Actually, I was using the Lee loading guide that comes with the die set. It said max. 36.3 grs for 220 gr bullet. So I backed it off .2 grs.

PP
    Is this the only loading you have put together for this bullet and powder combination? I'm sure you've heard "start low and work your way up". In my experience, max loads are usually not the best from an accuracy or brass life point of view.

Anyway, I believe the info with the Lee dies usually lists the expected speed.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

rf2, I did load 2 cartridges at 37 grs which I will not attempt to use until I see what the loads at 36.1 will do. I started .2 grs lower than the recommended 36.3 grs as I believe that the Marlin lever should be able to handle the pressure even though the bullet is 225grs as opposed to 220grs. I cannot see in mind the Marlin be subjected to over 40 000 psi in this case. Your insight is appreciated.

PP

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

rf2, I did load 2 cartridges at 37 grs which I will not attempt to use until I see what the loads at 36.1 will do. I started .2 grs lower than the recommended 36.3 grs as I believe that the Marlin lever should be able to handle the pressure even though the bullet is 225grs as opposed to 220grs. I cannot see in mind the Marlin be subjected to over 40 000 psi in this case. Your insight is appreciated.

PP
    36.3 is not the recommended load. It is the max load. Big difference. When people say "start low", they mean like a couple or a few grains below the max, not 0.2. Just my opinion, but you may want to rethink what you are doing.

Edit: From what I could find, the 225 grain Sierra Gameking is a pointed bullet. Are you single shotting that 336, or one in the chamber, one in the magazine?
    I checked my reloading manuals, and only one has info for 220 grain bullets and your powder. It also notes that not all bullets are suitable for the calibre due to heavy construction requiring higher speeds needed for proper performance on game. This info combined with the fact that your choice is a pointed bullet suggests the bullet is not suitable for your rifle and calibre, but do as you wish.20200201_132621.jpg20200201_132610.jpg

EDIT AGAIN: The Sierra website says specifically that the bullet you have chosen is not suitable for the 35 Remington. Time to go back to the drawing board and do some research first. I don't mean to offend, but ... reloading is serious business. People can die if they make errors like using pointed bullets at max load in a tubular magazine.
    Last edited by rf2; February 1st, 2020 at 02:01 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    36.3 is not the recommended load. It is the max load. Big difference. When people say "start low", they mean like a couple or a few grains below the max, not 0.2. Just my opinion, but you may want to rethink what you are doing.
    Very wise advice given here in this post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast