Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renfrew Gun and hunting Show this weekend.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Oh yea, you have to barter..it's expected. Only newb's pay the asking price

Most guys price them 50% higher than they will take. We used to carry a few cards with our name/ phone# on them. Write the offer on it and tell him to give you call when the show is over and he hasn't sold it yet. Sometimes they would call even before we left the building.

There is one guy (standard vendor at all the shows) that won't barter. Saw him at the fall show with his wife and she's pretty much running the table. He's sick and won't be doing the shows much longer and she's was telling him what to accept on offers becasue she wasn't loading them back into the truck HaHa...
    Last edited by MikePal; March 9th, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I know that whenever I go to these gunshows, I am constantly comparing in my mind the price the vendors are asking with the prices on places like CGN (which are already inflated), and I rarely find anything that is a good deal. I think the vendors need to adapt to the fact that most buyers nowadays are very well informed on prices.

That being said, every once in a while, you can find something you have been looking for for a long time without success, and you just seize the opportunity and buy it on the spot. And very rarely, the vendor will undervalue an item and you can get a really good deal.

Regarding bartering: I won't waste my time offering someone half the asking price. When I sell something, I ask a reasonable amount, and I don't appreciate people offering me half the asking price. If I see something that I think is twice the amount that I am willing to spend, I just keep walking because I assume the person priced it somewhere close to what they are expecting to receive, so I don't want to insult them with what they would consider a real low-ball offer.
    Last edited by rf2; March 9th, 2020 at 11:14 AM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Just seeing this...house reno's been consuming my time these days. Hoping to sell soon.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Regarding bartering: I won't waste my time offering someone half the asking price. When I sell something, I ask a reasonable amount, and I don't appreciate people offering me half the asking price. If I see something that I think is twice the amount that I am willing to spend, I just keep walking because I assume the person priced it somewhere close to what they are expecting to receive, so I don't want to insult them with what they would consider a real low-ball offer.
    The usual way it works..he buys a gun for $450 knowing it's a $600 gun.Then he will ask $900 (+50%)..knowing that someone will bargain him down, so this way the guy thinks he got a deal and the vendor makes a few $$....so no, to offer $600- $700, is not an insult but what they are really expecting to get for it. (exaggerated numbers for ease of explanation)

I used to see local vendors at local Gun Auctions and watched how they buy guns. ie: One fella outbid me on a 7mm Mauser, I stopped at $250. I saw that same gun not two weeks later on his table at a gun show. He was asking $500. We had a good laugh about it and he said for me, a special price $400 HaHa..
    Last edited by MikePal; March 9th, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Is there any indication from if gun shows will resume any time in the near future?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
    Is there any indication from if gun shows will resume any time in the near future?
    Seeing that we cannot have more than what 10 people inside, I doubt there will be any gun shows until at least next summer.

Glad I stocked up on 16ga over the last couple years, ha ha.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Let's resurrect this one....now that things are opening back up again.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12