Thread: Tell me about Pelee

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Default Tell me about Pelee

Never been to Pelee. I'm thinking of a November clean-up hunt because I suspect the 1st main hunt might be crowded (correct me if I'm wrong) and I can't make the 2nd and 3rd main hunts. Thoughts from those who've been would be appreciated. PM or e-mail me (merrylittlehound@hotmail.com) if you prefer. Thanks!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Beware of ticks. It's a known hotspot for ticks and lyme.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Point Pelee has ticks bad. Never had an issue on the island myself.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Iím interested in learning more about the hunts as well

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I’ve done a few reports from past years. Just search this forum for Pelee

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Beware of ticks. It's a known hotspot for ticks and lyme.
    No man, you're thinking of Pt Pelee main land, not the island, Ive been doing the pheasant hunt(all three) for 20 yrs, and have been been going to the island for over 40yrs, never had a tick problem

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

None of the hunts are crowded, 1st hunt crops are usually still up, 2nd hunt crops up is iffy, they used to sell out 700 permits back in the day, now they barely sell 400 per hunt, weather conditions could have you stranded either way, coming or going to the island, its still a good time

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Like Dilly said, check some of my previous posts for some info on Pelee. Booked the cottage last week and Just booked my ferry spot today for the third hunt first week of November. Don’t worry about crowds for any of the main hunts nowadays. Used to be full many years ago but the last few years there is always plenty of field space if you want to avoid other hunters. I have done all three hunts and prefer the last main hunt ... generally cooler weather and lots of crops down by then, plus some bonus woodcock that have made their way to the island by that time. Always a blast for the dogs and shooters, a fun experience overall.
    Lorenzo

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

They used to have a booth with info promoting the pheasant hunt at the Toronto Sportsman Show but I’m not sure they still do it, haven’t been to the show last few years.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

i've done the clean up hunt 7 years in a row. it's an absolute blast. Our group goes down a day early just to unwind and enjoy the island. We hunt with our dogs too and I don't think you will be disappointed with the cover/bird quality. I recommend calling the cottage before booking. Not all of them allow dogs inside.