Thread: Talking turkey shooter mods

Administrator

User Info Menu

Cool Talking turkey shooter mods

We’re running an article in the May 2020 issue of OOD on tricking out your turkey gun, and we're looking to see how you've customized yours. Show us how you've altered your firearm by posting pics and give us the details.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have done lots of different things to my turkey gun. My stock gun is a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip - I have done the following adjustments:

- Trigger job to lighten it up and remove some of the creep
    - Mounted a rail and topped it with a Burris 1.75-4 scope
    - Had the cone lengthened in the 24" barrel to help pattern better
    - Added an Indian Creek choke tube .665
    - Patterned almost every shell in the market but settled on these two for the best pattern in my gun https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...va+Steady+Grip
    + Winchester Longbeard XR 3" #6 1-3/4oz
    + HEVI 13 3" #6 2oz
    - I also shortened the LOP on the gun by 3/4" and added a Limbsaver recoil pad to make it easier to get up and shoot comfortably.

Attachment 39819
    Last edited by 410001661; March 18th, 2020 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added Image

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I put TruGlo sights on my 870 Wingmaster 28" vent rib. It works super in low light conditions.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    I have done lots of different things to my turkey gun. My stock gun is a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip - I have done the following adjustments:

- Trigger job to lighten it up and remove some of the creep
    - Mounted a rail and topped it with a Burris 1.75-4 scope
    - Had the cone lengthened in the 24" barrel to help pattern better
    - Added an Indian Creek choke tube .665
    - Patterned almost every shell in the market but settled on these two for the best pattern in my gun https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...va+Steady+Grip
    + Winchester Longbeard XR 3" #6 1-3/4oz
    + HEVI 13 3" #6 2oz
    - I also shortened the LOP on the gun by 3/4" and added a Limbsaver recoil pad to make it easier to get up and shoot comfortably.

Attachment 39819
    Nice. I especially like the refined touches you made by adjusting the LOP and trigger,a nd doing your homework with the patterning.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks! Adjusting the LOP was a pain because of how the Benelli Super Nova recoil pads install on the gun. I followed a post on the Benelli forum and cut the stock down by 1" removing the ribs that grabbed the Benelli recoil pads and I used a 2" thick block of oak and with my belt sander I tapered down the sides of the oak block so that it fits within the hollow section of the stock. When that was done I used epoxy and secured the oak block into the stock. I let it set for 2 days and when it was all set I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on the stock securing it to the oak block with screws (pre drilling of course).

This gun patterns amazing with the right ammo! My first choice is Hevi13 - 3" #6 2oz but that is getting hard to find but the Winchester Longbeard 3" #6 1-3/4 is a close second.

Attachment 39874