Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scale calibration

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Scale calibration

Good morning everyone, I just purchase all my reloading supplies and just want to double check the scale calibration just to be sure. Does anyone have any recommendations on what is a good way to check? Is there something out there with a specific weight that I could double check on the scale?

Thanks and hope you all have a great day

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You could take a pullet and put that on the scale, it would not be dead on but will be quite close.

Remember, you are working up a load and you are doing it with your gear, so a slight difference from true measurements would not matter as long as you keep your gear consistent. If you change the scale then I would probably start low again to make sure that your load is what you expected.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You can buy scale calibration weights for relatively cheap. Most reloading scales I have seen come with a set.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You could take a pullet and put that on the scale, it would not be dead on but will be quite close.

Remember, you are working up a load and you are doing it with your gear, so a slight difference from true measurements would not matter as long as you keep your gear consistent. If you change the scale then I would probably start low again to make sure that your load is what you expected.
    So if I have a 55gr bullet head it should read 55gr on the scale? That's what I understood from what your saying and just want to make sure lol

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

The bullet should be close, go online and check what a loonie or twoonie weighs, you can use that to

Member for Life

User Info Menu

First. Are you calibrating an electronic scale or a beam scale?
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    First. Are you calibrating an electronic scale or a beam scale?
    Sorry should have specified, it's a beam scale

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oaknut View Post
    You can buy scale calibration weights for relatively cheap. Most reloading scales I have seen come with a set.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    X2 best way. On a electronic scale do a self calibration , and then weigh the weight. On a beam scale adjust the beam to it's balance mark, then weigh the weight. In both cases weight should be very close, so make a note of any difference and remember it when weighing powder charges.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    The bullet should be close, go online and check what a loonie or twoonie weighs, you can use that to
    That would give him weight in grams, to convert to grains, he would then have to multiply by 15.432.
    As 1 gram = 15.432 grains, which is what he needs for his purpose.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pair88 View Post
    So if I have a 55gr bullet head it should read 55gr on the scale? That's what I understood from what your saying and just want to make sure lol
    Ya, a 55gr bullet will weigh very close to 55gr.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast