Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damaged shells

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

No offence I just reading ... what you written ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pair88 View Post
    They are not from my gun, had a bunch of brass given to me so I wont complain about and there are a hand full out of 150ish rounds that are like that so still good but just curious if when I go to resize them if it would straighten them out or just throw them out

Quote Originally Posted by Pair88 View Post
    It was all 1 time shot brass, I have kept all my round from my wife and my rifle shots since I knew I was gonna reload at some point. But thanks anyways. Wont bother with questions anymore.

Thank you everyone else, as I'm resizing I'm gonna throw out all the damaged/dented brass

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

That stuff will be straightened out in the resizing process. Dents in the side will be fixed when you fire the cases. The issue is that if the bends are severe, they could create weak spots in the cases. If you have a lot of cases available, your best bet it to throw damaged ones out. 30-06 cases are not exactly rare.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    That stuff will be straightened out in the resizing process. Dents in the side will be fixed when you fire the cases. The issue is that if the bends are severe, they could create weak spots in the cases. If you have a lot of cases available, your best bet it to throw damaged ones out. 30-06 cases are not exactly rare.
    ^^^^

This.

Slight imperfections that can be smoothed, or pushed out by the pressure of firing could be used. Any place where the metal could have been fatigued is a potential failure.

But as already stated. Brass is cheap, and 30-06 is plentiful.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Step four: When full take pail to recycling depot, use money for more hunting stuff.[/QUOTE]
    Is there a difference between a recycling depot and a scrap dealer? I brought a pile of unuseable cases to a scrap dealer and he refused them
    Citing a concern about unspent primers.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Step four: When full take pail to recycling depot, use money for more hunting stuff.
    Is there a difference between a recycling depot and a scrap dealer? I brought a pile of unuseable cases to a scrap dealer and he refused them
    Citing a concern about unspent primers.[/QUOTE]

PC terms..Old days it was a scrap dealer, and they were respected.
    Now they have to be PC and get called a recycling depot.

Unspent primers? I would have just asked if he didn't think me crushing the cases would have prevented that problem.
    I doubt your pail was full of stuff like this.

bad-ammo-featured.jpg
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

rf2 & Bluebulldog have got it right minor dings in the case mouth usually are rectified in resizing, oil dents usually are blown out with form firing. The only real challenge are cases that have been re-fired in a No.4 Mk.I .303 British, because of the head space in some of these guns the brass sometimes get over expanded and weakened on the case shoulder a bit above the case head and sometime will fracture on firing. You can usually pick the weakness bulge up by examining them carefully.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    The only real challenge are cases that have been re-fired in a No.4 Mk.I .303 British, because of the head space in some of these guns the brass sometimes get over expanded and weakened on the case shoulder a bit above the case head and sometime will fracture on firing.
    Yup !!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    rf2 & Bluebulldog have got it right minor dings in the case mouth usually are rectified in resizing, oil dents usually are blown out with form firing. The only real challenge are cases that have been re-fired in a No.4 Mk.I .303 British, because of the head space in some of these guns the brass sometimes get over expanded and weakened on the case shoulder a bit above the case head and sometime will fracture on firing. You can usually pick the weakness bulge up by examining them carefully.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut
    The majority of Lee Enfield rifles do not have a problem with headspace. Headspace on the 303 Brit cartridge is simply a measure of the rim thickness.

What happens with the 303 Brit military chamber is that the chamber is oversized to be able to accept damaged cartridges, this is something that they ran into when fighting the Zulus with their martini rifles using foil cases. Check the headspace but the case separation on Lee Enfields is almost always from oversized chambers. This is why for the 303 Brit it is best to fire form and keep brass separate for each gun, then neck size only, a lot less wear.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I personally would not use cases that were stepped on, that is what the oval ones look like. If the neck is dinged I would run it through the sizing die and see what it looks like, as long as the neck does not buckle it should be fine, this happens a lot just from falling from a bench or being ejected from the gun, the oval ones were stepped on I am pretty sure.

The tumbler will not flatten the cases out but they can bend in the neck a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12