Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What a night! Calving season fun

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I keep shooting the biggest one I see which in hindsight isnt the best because I'm always shooting the male. Both these ones are male. I just skinned the one and noticed he had a badly broken front leg. Leg bone was stuck outside the skin, almost healed over. Think he was shot at some time. I didnt noticed him limping in the field.

I cant find anything dead here either! Not sure why coyotes are so thick here right now. Two beef farms on either side, but no dead stock and both farmers havnt lost any calves....yet

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done! Good shooting as well!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Right on. Great shooting.
    Nice green field.? Haha. I just finished clearing the 30 cm of snow that fell yesterday.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SongDog View Post
    Got a call at 930 this morning from a farmer I know. Says there's 5 coyotes in the field with the cattle, Hes had two cows this week give birth but he has found no calf. Of course I'm at work and no help but I called my dad that lives 5 minutes away but he isnt home and cant go.

Fast forward to 6:00pm. I show up at the farm and do some investigating. The cattle are still all worked up, running around, I find a bit of after birth but the crows had most of that picked off.

I head half way back about 200 yards from the cattle and set up . Playing calf bawls on my foxpro was a BAD IDEA. Stampede of 80 head of cattle come by, Bawling non stop I thought they were going to go right threw the fence.

Let them calm down but they wont leave. Look up and there's 3 coyotes standing 100 yards away looking my way at the cattle.

They wont wind me and are going to come closer.....at 50 yards I shot the farthest one. He drops like a rock and the other two take off. Foxbang goes off and both coyotes turn right around and run past the dead coyote looking my way. BANG down goes #2. I mute foxbang again and this time # 3 isnt stopping. I hit him on the run at 100 yards and rolled him right before he hits the bush.

Cattle are taking off now and I'm worried they are going to take out another fence as I shooting only meters from them. But they miss it and I see 2 more coyotes coming same direction I just shot the other 3!!!

Lead one stops at about 150 yards and i shoot and see him drop. Couldn't get on his buddy as hes over 300 yards and motoring to the Bush.

Now, I'm sitting on the only snow left in the field, 10 minutes left of day light I can only find the first two I shoot.

Pretty bummed, we have no snow besides were the drifts were so it's impossible to find blood in the wet field and they blend in so well!

I'll go look for the other two tomorrow as I'm sure they are dead and dont want to leave them in the field. But that farmer is pretty happy and so am I LOL. Would have been my first quad kill but I'll take the two. The male was defintely the biggest, Hes on the right, female on the left.

Nice rig,SongDog. Is that a Rem 783?
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone! Gun is a Sako 85 .22 250.

It has a set trigger, Really helps on the longer shots. Took a lot of trigger time to get used to it, I do not touch the trigger until I'm absolutely ready to fire because its so light. I think its 8-10oz pull, Regular trigger is 2.5lbs which is great for most situations.

Put a big scratch on the stock trying to reinsert the magazine today. You can see it in the pics in front of the trigger guard. Adds character I guess [emoji38]

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Well done. It sounds like they’re so excited at the thought of calving season that they throw caution to the wind, so to speak. Like bucks in the rut ?
    “You have enemies ? Good. It means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life”: Winston Churchill

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

wow thats a lot of yotes! imagine the loss to the farmer if you were not able to keep the numbers down. Good shooting I am sure the farmer appreciates it.
    ihunt

"life is 80% preparation and 20% perspiration"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Good job. I am sure the farmer is happy. Less coyotes around more calves and more fawns too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

that's incredible how many yotes you have, good shooting! you definitely know how to get them.
    ihunt

"life is 80% preparation and 20% perspiration"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123