Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Perfect gouse/woodcock gun

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickingfrog View Post
    What if I hunt grouse shirtless with safety orange body paint?
    Way too much information.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Anybody a fan of the 16 gauge? What's a perfect Upland load?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by can-man View Post
    Anybody a fan of the 16 gauge? What's a perfect Upland load?
    1oz of 7 1/2. Handle anything in Ontario.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

What about for chucker and pheasants?

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

What about for chucker and pheasants?
    I'm a fan of #6 and #5's
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Me too!!

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Where's the cheapest place you're buying 16 gauge shells? Thanks for your help

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

I'm either 12 or 20g and if you plan it right basspro has sales preseason have never seem 16 on sale though.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Where's the cheapest place you're buying 16 gauge shells? Thanks for your help
    About 20 bucks, but I buy mine at those used guns sales and get them for about 10 bucks, I prefer size 4 and 5

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampsinger View Post
    I'll vouch for the 20 bps. I've used the upland special for thirty five years. I shoot left handed and its ambidextrous with bottom eject. Rather than rely on a safety, I like to keep the chamber empty, especially when dog rangling. Its amazing how fast you can pump one up with some practice.
    I find it somewhat awkward, in that, if you carry it with an empty chamber and the action closed, when you go to shoot, you have to find the release switch/button OR pull the trigger/dry fire to get the action open to rack in a round. I don't like the idea of the dry fire, as in that scenario, you probably don't have the gun mounted yet, You're looking at the bird, not where your barrel is pointed, and in the heat of the moment, it could be pointed at the dog, or whereever, as you're mounting... so the release button should be the only option. Fine if that's what you've practiced, the same way every time and can do it instinctually, but if not, can result in flubs. Missed shots. Sounds like you've been doing fine for a while. Just not my preference.
    If you carry with the action already unlocked, at least with my guns, the weight of the forestock, while jostling around, will slide it open, if carried vertically, unless you don't hold it closed, which is a nuisance, and it'll eventually end up sliding open all the way, and a round will drop from the tube and be bobbling around the action until it falls out or ends up shoved in the chamber.
    I love pumps and semi autos in scenarios when/where I can safely sit in a blind, or easy, heads up walking, with a loaded chamber, safety on, and gun in a safe direction. For banging through brush for grouse and woodcock, I much prefer a breach loader.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast