Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Perfect gouse/woodcock gun

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Perfect gouse/woodcock gun

What is the best Grouse and Woodcock gun choke and ammo and shot size?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Something light too carry, quick shooting and easy maneuvering, and most important don't mind scratching the hell out of it. woodcock 8-7 1/2 grouse 6's do well. improved cylinder or skeet for a choke.
    My go to gun is a 20 gauge weatherby youth model synth stock, 7 1/2 & 6's out of the improved cylinder over a decent setter.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

What ever gun you can shoot quickly and effectively. I have a SxS 20ga Ugartechea side-lock. English stock with splinter forened and two triggers. Choked cylinder and I/C. It’s fast as lightning and works for me. For sale too...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I prefer a 20g double gun for grouse and woodcock. Bought a Franchi Instinct over under a few years ago and love it for grouse/WC. I recommend a 26-28 inch barrel, with C and IC or skeet chokes and you are good to go.
    Lorenzo

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

20g, 26in double barrel, pick a gun that fits or have it fitted, I use a Browning citori gr 3 in that configuration with removable chokes for all my upland shooting

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My “go to” is a 20g Citori Feather Lightning. 26” bbls usually chocked Skeet/Light Mod for grouse & pheasant. If specifically targeting WC, then it’s #8 shot and SK/SK chokes. Oh, the gun weighs 5lb 14oz. One of these helps a lot. Don’t ask, it’s not for sale
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by terrym; April 27th, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    What ever gun you can shoot quickly and effectively. I have a SxS 20ga Ugartechea side-lock. English stock with splinter forened and two triggers. Choked cylinder and I/C. It’s fast as lightning and works for me. For sale too...
    Whatcha askin $$ ??
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Whatcha askin $$ ??
    It’s cased too....with accessories....$3400 ish...

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I like 20ga double barrel shotguns. Early season when the woodcock are around I go with 7.5 shot and chokes CY by IC. After the woodcock are gone and I’m strictly shooting grouse, I go with number 6 shot and choke up to IC by MOD.
    Basically you want something light in weight for long walks and quick to shoulder for the fast flying birds. Very important the shotgun fits right as so it shoots where you’re looking. No time for adjusting your gun mount when a bird flushed. Shots are usually close in cover so open chokes and small shot size to fill the pattern are the norm. Plus you don’t want to damage to much of the tasty grouse meat.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    It’s cased too....with accessories....$3400 ish...
    Sounds like a sweet one. I wish.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast