Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Perfect gouse/woodcock gun

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

My go-to gun changes depending on when and where.

For woodcock, anywhere anytime, I use a SxS choked cyl/cyl. It also handles the grouse I encounter along the way.

For northern Ontario grouse, anytime, I use the same SxS choked cyl/cyl.

For Evil Southern Grouse after the woodcock have left and the leaves are down, I use a SxS choked IC/mod.
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

My go-to grouse gun is a custom Arietta sxs 28" 12 gauge choked skeet and light mod. Grouse load is a 24 gram International target load. I step up to 1-1/8 #6 for preserve pheasant.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keating View Post
    I find it somewhat awkward, in that, if you carry it with an empty chamber and the action closed, when you go to shoot, you have to find the release switch/button OR pull the trigger/dry fire to get the action open to rack in a round. I don't like the idea of the dry fire, as in that scenario, you probably don't have the gun mounted yet, You're looking at the bird, not where your barrel is pointed, and in the heat of the moment, it could be pointed at the dog, or whereever, as you're mounting... so the release button should be the only option. Fine if that's what you've practiced, the same way every time and can do it instinctually, but if not, can result in flubs. Missed shots. Sounds like you've been doing fine for a while. Just not my preference.
    If you carry with the action already unlocked, at least with my guns, the weight of the forestock, while jostling around, will slide it open, if carried vertically, unless you don't hold it closed, which is a nuisance, and it'll eventually end up sliding open all the way, and a round will drop from the tube and be bobbling around the action until it falls out or ends up shoved in the chamber.
    I love pumps and semi autos in scenarios when/where I can safely sit in a blind, or easy, heads up walking, with a loaded chamber, safety on, and gun in a safe direction. For banging through brush for grouse and woodcock, I much prefer a breach loader.
    Do you carry the breach loader closed or open. I don't mind to hear from others on this, wondering what is the general practice.
    Last edited by swampsinger; October 1st, 2020 at 06:41 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampsinger View Post
    Do you carry the breach loader closed or open. I don't mind to hear from others on this, wondering what is the general practice.
    I hunt with the chamber loaded, action closed and safety on.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

My go to Partridge Gun is the Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight in 20 gauge with number 6 shot. At under 6 pounds with 26" barrel, it is light enough to carry all day and you can go through the rough stuff without getting tangled.
    Gun control:Criminals who ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to deter criminals.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678