Thread: clamp on downriggers

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default clamp on downriggers

Clamp on dowriggers for a small boat. How well built are these things? Are they secure? Anyone used one and had thoughts?

I have....concerns over putting $200 worth of rod/reel/tackle on to one of these things then having the whole $400 worth go overboard at the bump of a wave.

Thank-you
    Last edited by blasted_saber; May 1st, 2020 at 02:21 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My buddy uses them out in the Queen Charlottes with no issues....I think he uses an 8 lb ball though...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Used many of them fishing salmon on Vancouver Island (Swartz Bay Area)....a lot were home made, some cheap professional types and we never had an issue. Some guys used a tether safety snap secured to their boats to prevent a possible accident. They would clip it the cage on the Peetz reel and was easy to remove with a strike if it got in the way.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I use one and never had a problem.
    "Only dead fish go with the flow."
    Proud Member: CCFR, CSSA, OFAH, NFA.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    I use one and never had a problem.
    What brand do you have? And is the rod holder attached or seperate?

Thankyou
    Last edited by blasted_saber; May 1st, 2020 at 06:02 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    What brand do you have? And is the rod holder attached or seperate?

Thankyou
    Its a Scotty with rod holder attached.
    I glued 2 pieces of Teflon on either side of the boat aluminium tight up against the gunwale.
    It reinforced sides for better clamp down and helps removed the flex.
    Once the downrigger is clamped down, its stuck under the gunwale, it cant slip up.
    That's how I was set up with my Ungava which I sold, I now want to do the same thing on my Seasprite.
    I would take pic, but its at the camp.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; May 2nd, 2020 at 09:53 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Funny how things work

I was talking to my grandfather last weekend about the price of new riggers and he says "My old manual rigger is in the shed somewhere, you should come and get it". So off I got today (while maintaining social distance) and dig through the shed to find a Walker manual downrigger with rod holder and line counter. It is older, but appears to be in fine shape. A bit more rooting around and I find the line release and the cannon ball. Then he hands me the trolling rod with a Penn reel to go with it.

He had built a custom swivel mount for it that bolts down to the gunnel of his aluminum boat. Took me about 30 minutes to modify it to work on my boat.

So ha. Saved myself some money to see if downrigging is for me. Will not be getting rid of the leadcore and steel line rods though....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Those old manual riggers worked great, you should have no problems with it. Downriggers are a great rig, once you get used to using them.

Cleaning up the shed last week I came across my old 'deep' fishing tackle a few lead balls, releases and huge flashers. Bought back some good memories.
    Last edited by MikePal; May 8th, 2020 at 03:12 AM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I had the cannon clamp on one and sold it..it was fine on calm days but that clamp would work itself loose on days when the water was choppy.
    i ended up buying the big jon portable one and also purchased a base plate for it. I fastened an "L" bracket to the transom with the place plate thats permanently there then just attached the downrigger when needed. See the links below. For a few extra dollars its a much better set up and you dont have to worry about losing your gear overboard.

https://www.bigjon.com/the-gadabout-slim-line-base/

https://www.bigjon.com/quick-slide-mounting-base/

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Now that I see the name Big Jon, I'm not sure the brand I have lol? Will check when at the camp.