Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yes or no to insurance

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    No legal requirement for boats. Some marinas/docks require it though. It will almost likely be required if you are paying off a loan on the boat.
    Atv's and snowmobiles require insurance if used anywhere other than property you own or occupy.
    Boat is listed under my house insurance with a separate rider. A couple of my firearms are also listed because the replacement would exceed what would be allowable by standard house insurance.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    You have to have insurance on your ATV and it must have a plate.
    Unless things have changed, you do not need insurance or plates if the ATV is operated on your property (ie a farm).
    I insure my toys with liability, comp, and fire/theft. I don't insure for collision, and figure I'll just take on the chin if I ever total something. I insure a road bike, ATV, UTV, and snowmobile and my cost is around $1000 a year.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That is correct, I use to drive my skidoo on my friends farm land 500 ac. But to go off private you need insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    Unless things have changed, you do not need insurance or plates if the ATV is operated on your property (ie a farm).
    I insure my toys with liability, comp, and fire/theft. I don't insure for collision, and figure I'll just take on the chin if I ever total something. I insure a road bike, ATV, UTV, and snowmobile and my cost is around $1000 a year.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    That is correct, I use to drive my skidoo on my friends farm land 500 ac. But to go off private you need insurance.
    Actually that is not correct.
    If you don't own or occupy the land you require insurance.
    Just because it's your friends property does excuse you from legally needing insurance.
    Will you get caught? Most likely not but if an accident occurs and the police get involved expect to be nailed.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Actually that is not correct.
    If you don't own or occupy the land you require insurance.
    Just because it's your friends property does excuse you from legally needing insurance.
    Will you get caught? Most likely not but if an accident occurs and the police get involved expect to be nailed.
    If you are going to correct someone’s post, at least be correct !

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    If you are going to correct someone’s post, at least be correct !
    What is wrong?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

rick-iles actually you may be correct under the MSVA Act owning the land isn't mentioned. Just that the snowmobile must be owned by the occupier of the land.
    Insurance
    12 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act, and the owner of a motorized snow vehicle shall not permit any person to drive the vehicle unless the vehicle is so insured. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Production of evidence of insurance
    (2) The driver of a motorized snow vehicle who drives or permits the driving of the motorized snow vehicle shall, upon the request of a police officer or conservation officer, produce evidence that the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Offence for failure to have insurance
    (3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Offence for producing false evidence
    (4) Every driver of a motorized snow vehicle who produces false evidence when required to produce evidence under subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (4).
    Exemption
    (5)
    This section does not apply to a person driving a motorized snow vehicle on land occupied by the owner of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (5).
    Last edited by Woodsman; May 5th, 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I don't leave home without it, boat and ATV.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Yeah I'll take my chance on private land.

Insurance wise for off private land I just have the basics where it is required. I don't have theft on any of my equipment except my truck which has full coverage (They gave me full coverage for an extra 10 bucks a month).

When I do leave equipment behind we either chain stuff together, hide it or bring it with us. I never use to lock anything but have read enough stories on here of people having their stuff stolen that we started taking extra protection.

rick-iles actually you may be correct under the MSVA Act owning the land isn't mentioned. Just that the snowmobile must be owned by the occupier of the land.
    Insurance
    12 (1) No person shall drive a motorized snow vehicle unless the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act, and the owner of a motorized snow vehicle shall not permit any person to drive the vehicle unless the vehicle is so insured. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Production of evidence of insurance
    (2) The driver of a motorized snow vehicle who drives or permits the driving of the motorized snow vehicle shall, upon the request of a police officer or conservation officer, produce evidence that the vehicle is insured under a motor vehicle liability policy in accordance with the Insurance Act. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Offence for failure to have insurance
    (3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. 2000, c. 30, s. 6 (1).
    Offence for producing false evidence
    (4) Every driver of a motorized snow vehicle who produces false evidence when required to produce evidence under subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (4).
    Exemption
    (5)
    This section does not apply to a person driving a motorized snow vehicle on land occupied by the owner of the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 12 (5).

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Boat and ATV insured, you just never know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast