Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting In Touch With My Inner Boyscout

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Getting In Touch With My Inner Boyscout

A few hacks:

I cut a couple of pieces off my old blue-styrofoam sleeping pad and doubled them up inside my day pack. Now my pack doubles as a waterproof cushion. Used every hunt this season.
    IMG_7097.jpg

Took an old mini-vasiline lip balm container, now it holds ibuprofen.
    IMG_7098.jpg

I cut a pocket off of an old kids' backpack, now it makes a mini-sack for some backcountry essentials: fire-starter, compass, water tablets, mini-lighter
    IMG_7099.jpg

Dug out my old mini first aid kit.
    IMG_7100.jpg

A few sandwich bags: tp & facial tissue, hand sanitizer & biodegradable soap, headlamp & spare batteries in a waterproof phone case, my old mini-Bushnell binoculars (which kept getting borrowed on the last hunt)
    IMG_7101.jpg

It all fits into the bottom compartment of my day pack. Total pack weight 4.5 lbs. Did I earn my badge?
    Last edited by Douger; May 7th, 2020 at 07:32 PM.
    My only fear when I die is that my wife will sell all of my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Good job,some great ideas there

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Not bad ! May I suggest one of those Emergency Blankets ? Used one once during training and they do reflect a lot of body heat back on you. Also a couple of Benadryl in case of allergic reactions ? A whistle !!!
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Excellent first pack...

suggestions: add Thermocell when you decide you NEED it if you sitting in the bush.

also throw a couple cough drops in with the Ibuprofen..nothing worse than getting a tickle in the throat when you're trying to be quiet

also a water proof holder for the wad of paperwork from the MNR when you out hunting HaHa..
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longpointer View Post
    Not bad ! May I suggest one of those Emergency Blankets ? Used one once during training and they do reflect a lot of body heat back on you. Also a couple of Benadryl in case of allergic reactions ? A whistle !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Excellent first pack...

suggestions: add Thermocell when you decide you NEED it if you sitting in the bush.

also throw a couple cough drops in with the Ibuprofen..nothing worse than getting a tickle in the throat when you're trying to be quiet

also a water proof holder for the wad of paperwork from the MNR when you out hunting HaHa..
    Good ideas. You mean one of those thermacell mosquito repellers? Do they actually work?

For my licences right now I'm just using a sandwich bag tucked into my inside jacket pocket, but I like the LokSak smartphone bags, you can get 2 for $10 at MEC.

I have the whistle, just haven't packed it. A large trash bag is also good, it has many uses and doesn't weigh anything.

I got thinking about it because my son wants to come with me. He's 10. So I said if I'm taking you out in the backcountry you have to educate yourself on basic safety. We've done canoe trips before, but bushwhacking is a little different, easier to get lost. Found a great kids' book on survival and he's reading a couple of chapters a week plus learning firearm safety and some knots.

He loves the firearm stuff of course and obviously wants a knife, but it's an opportunity for him to gain some real knowledge and learn about the more serious responsibilities. For him I think I'll throw in a flare pen and some flagging tape.
    My only fear when I die is that my wife will sell all of my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Great ideas Doug yes, those thermal cells are the real deal. Not against black flies, but for the giddo's it really does work.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Douger View Post
    Good ideas. You mean one of those thermacell mosquito repellers? Do they actually work?

For my licences right now I'm just using a sandwich bag tucked into my inside jacket pocket, but I like the LokSak smartphone bags, you can get 2 for $10 at MEC.

I have the whistle, just haven't packed it. A large trash bag is also good, it has many uses and doesn't weigh anything.

I got thinking about it because my son wants to come with me. He's 10. So I said if I'm taking you out in the backcountry you have to educate yourself on basic safety. We've done canoe trips before, but bushwhacking is a little different, easier to get lost. Found a great kids' book on survival and he's reading a couple of chapters a week plus learning firearm safety and some knots.

He loves the firearm stuff of course and obviously wants a knife, but it's an opportunity for him to gain some real knowledge and learn about the more serious responsibilities. For him I think I'll throw in a flare pen and some flagging tape.
    curious as to what the book is? i have a nine year old, who would love it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JJL View Post
    I gave my kids this : HaHa...

Which, is by the way, a great book to have in your Bush backpack
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JJL View Post
    Survivor Kid by Denise Long. It's great, I'm learning quite a bit myself. Hope the link works!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/156...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I gave my kids this : HaHa...

Which, is by the way, a great book to have in your Bush backpack
    Nice one I'll check it out.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Need a couple airplane bottles of whiskey as well.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast