Thread: Morels arte up!

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Morels arte up!

Just letting the mushroom crew know that the black morels are now up after this last rain in the Fenelon Falls area. Haven't seen any yellows yet but had a good feed of the black ones yesterday.
    Last edited by Fenelon; May 28th, 2020 at 08:08 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I've had a couple feeds of the black ones, found one lonely yellow one yesterday....wont be long. Im in the orillia area

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Thanks Fenlon, I'll be out for my ramps and shrooms this weekend around the Burnt River.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I got into a patch of yellows in the London area last Tuesday. Just curious how long does the growing season last for them?

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Found the first ones near Guelph this year on April 29th. Lots since! Some good eats the last few weeks.

- Nick
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

User Info Menu

Ottawa all up and prolific over normal years
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

User Info Menu

End June around Ottawa, about a month during peak times. Southern slopes produce early, deep woods produce later. Ground temp is important 55F, as with moon phases and rain. I knew after rains last week, they pop, and they did right on que. I was out 2 weeks before and nothing, not even a sin in all regular spots. The can grow in 24-36 hrs full size.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    I got into a patch of yellows in the London area last Tuesday. Just curious how long does the growing season last for them?
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I haven't had much luck finding them this year. I have noticed a lot of traffic in the forest. Maybe others have gotten to them first but this rain should help produce more. Found some nice pheasant backs that I am drying for soups and stir fry.
    Came across my first grouse nest 20200528_081227.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool

Anyone tried the kits for on their own property? There were quite a few videos that showed success .... and alot that were a few years old that showed them planting and never had a video with them grown too... but I got a pack of the blacks to try at home and the cottage but don't expect to see anything until next year .... if I got lucky. Where I got them is sold out so they seem to have them in stock still.
    https://www.mushroomkit.ca/product/morel-mushroom-kit/

Since I brought up the topic of kits and others might decide to try other species I am going off topic a bit here as an FYI and A WARNING!
    I also got a Lion's mane table top kit that should be harvested tomorrow or Saturday, it's about the size of the one in the pictures and they SAY you can get 3 or 4 growths from them... then supposedly you can break it up and can use it to grow more.
    https://growmushroomscanada.ca/produ...room-grow-kit/

Now the warning, I tried the Oyster Mushrooms too.. they worked good as the kit BUT I would NOT recommend them unless you have a place separate and ventilated away from the living areas. I decided I would harvest them the next day but that was apparently 1 day too late, they threw off enough spores to powder coat the tray under them, the inside of the moisture bag and even around outside the bag where the air holes were. How easy to grow... well I tossed the paper towels I used to clean up in a pot with some hardwood mulch I had bought for around the morels and I see about half a doze decent mushrooms in the pot now too (those are OUTSIDE on top the BBQ, still in the shade and kept damp). Now besides the mess, the Oyster mushroom spores can cause VERY BAD allergic reactions I read when I did some more reading about the mess they made so I am including this as a warning... Oyster mushrooms are easiest to grow but indoors make sure to get the moisture tent and a place spores won't cause problems. I'm just learning but thought I would pass on this information since the reactions sounded bad just incase anyone decides, hey I will try that, I was very surprised by how much they put out and I don't want people having bad respiratory or allergic reactions if they decide to try one of the Oyster kits too. The Oysters were real good cooked though!

Back to MORELS!! Got some bad ones you won't eat... make a slurry and see if they will grow where you put them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI

P.S.
    What to do with the old, the rotten and the bad Morel's instead of throwing them out.. oh and what he did with the paper towels (at 3:25) was my idea for the Oyster mushrooms (that worked) and this guy says it is working for the morels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5OqU1QBUyw
    Last edited by mosquito; May 29th, 2020 at 06:12 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fenelon View Post
    Just letting the mushroom crew know that the black morels are now up after this last rain in the Fenelon Falls area. Haven't seen any yellows yet but had a good feed of the black ones yesterday.
    I found a bunch while sneaking up in a turkey in south Bruce County. So many I had to use my hat to carry them. I left just as many on the ground undisturbed. Carried them home in my empty thermos.9F6B9856-4BAE-4978-AE17-27474E1892BF.jpg97B43633-809A-4702-BBA4-8615B131BAA1.jpg