Thread: Moose Tag Application Question

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Moose Tag Application Question

I have tried calling the MNR daily for the last 2 weeks but have not been able to reach a customer service representative for clarification. My question; I last drew a tag in 2015 and received a surplus tag in 2018 and have applied for tags consecutively the last 20+ years. Does the drawn tag of 2015 or the surplus tag of 2018 count as the last tag? Additionally, my hunting buddy received a drawn tag in 2012 but missed the 2017 moose tag application deadline and was in pool 2 in 2018, pool 1 in 2019. Does his tag received history go back to 2012 or restart in 2019 because he missed the 2017 application. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

OMNRF staff is at skeleton crew status due to Covid-19 protocols. Hunters who haven't drawn a tag in many years will be given preference in the new draw system coming on stream next year. Because this year's tag allocations are at an all time low and the spectre of Covid-19,this season will be extremely difficult to draw tags. You may be wise to research the new regulations to get a better idea of where you sit in the "peckin' order" for next year. Good luck.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 21st, 2020 at 09:44 PM.
    ....and then he told his cult followers to inject Lysol and stick a UV light up their butt.......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RS460 View Post
    I have tried calling the MNR daily for the last 2 weeks but have not been able to reach a customer service representative for clarification. My question; I last drew a tag in 2015 and received a surplus tag in 2018 and have applied for tags consecutively the last 20+ years. Does the drawn tag of 2015 or the surplus tag of 2018 count as the last tag? Additionally, my hunting buddy received a drawn tag in 2012 but missed the 2017 moose tag application deadline and was in pool 2 in 2018, pool 1 in 2019. Does his tag received history go back to 2012 or restart in 2019 because he missed the 2017 application. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Your points for the 2021 draw start accumulating from the year you last drew a tag. I don’t think surplus tags count as getting a tag through the draw...at least they don’t for determining your P1 or P2 groups.....
    Each year you applied and were not successful, you will be given a point. You wouldn’t have had to apply every year to keep your accumulated points. So if you missed a year, you just don’t get a point for that year.
    Last edited by rick_iles; May 22nd, 2020 at 05:27 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It should be noted,too,that for next year's new system,P1 & P2 status goes away along with group applications. If I'm reading this correctly,everyone's name who applies for a license goes into the same bucket to be drawn from. If the system works the same,here,as it does in American western and mid western states,it will have a huge impact on Moose hunters in Ontario. It will remain to be seen,but,actual hunters taking to the forests could see a very significant reduction by some estimations.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 22nd, 2020 at 07:52 AM.
    ....and then he told his cult followers to inject Lysol and stick a UV light up their butt.......

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks to those that responded.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    It should be noted,too,that for next year's new system,P1 & P2 status goes away along with group applications. If I'm reading this correctly,everyone's name who applies for a license goes into the same bucket to be drawn from. If the system works the same,here,as it does in American western and mid western states,it will have a huge impact on Moose hunters in Ontario. It will remain to be seen,but,actual hunters taking to the forests could see a very significant reduction by some
    estimations.
    The allocation will be based on a points system. The longer someone has applied and not been successful, the more points accumulated. Likely, in each WMU, the group of hunters with the most points would be in the pool of hunters to be chosen from. But yes, no pool1 etc..., no group draws...it will be interesting.....

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Your points for the 2021 draw start accumulating from the year you last drew a tag. I don’t think surplus tags count as getting a tag through the draw...at least they don’t for determining your P1 or P2 groups.....
    Each year you applied and were not successful, you will be given a point. You wouldn’t have had to apply every year to keep your accumulated points. So if you missed a year, you just don’t get a point for that year.
    I believe you are correct. From my understanding of the new system, that is how it is going to work.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Apprentice

User Info Menu

My understanding is that surplus tags won’t come into play to determine point totals. Also, if you’ve applied 15 times in the past 20 years, your entire draw history will be considered - minus the years that you didn’t apply.

One thing that doesn’t get talked about is point creep. In units with few tags and lots of hunter, not every hunter with the most points will get a tag. So the number of points required to get a tag will keep going up every year. It’s like driving to the finish line but the line keeps moving back and it takes much longer to get there.