Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking an injured bear

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Tracking an injured bear

I just shot a bear tonight, quite of bit of blood waited about 45 minutes after the shot to start tracking.....didnt find it tonight so gonna keep going in the mourning....any tips and tricks???

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bear13 View Post
    I just shot a bear tonight, quite of bit of blood waited about 45 minutes after the shot to start tracking.....didnt find it tonight so gonna keep going in the mourning....any tips and tricks???
    Start early,first light is best. Be damn careful. A wounded Bear is nothing to mess with. Good Luck!
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Oh yes i am gonna be at my stand at 6:00 am

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

wont be sleeping tonight lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

get a spray bottle and a few bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide. Spray the stuff on anything or anyplace you think there is blood. Even dried blood will foam up the Peroxide.

Don't track with your head down, go slow and listen.

We all want to read from you not about you..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Get some buddies to go with you and have at least one who is a reliable calm sort as the lookout armed with a 12 gauge with open sights loaded with 00 or 000 buck followed by a slug followed by more buck. Two armed this way is even better. More eyes the better. Put fluorescent flagging tape on confirmed blood locations and project a direction of travel. Estimate the distance between confirmed blood locations and than move forward a similar distance in the projected line of travel and start looking for new blood in a radius from the last known spot.

Even better option is if you know someone with good dogs call in a chit and get them out.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Species8472; May 21st, 2020 at 11:57 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Move slow and walk off to the side of his track so your tracks don't mess with the stuff he's stirred up. Use toilet paper and at each blood spot stick a piece of paper at chest height. Don't put it on the ground. That way you can look back and see what general direction he's travelling. Good thing about TP is that it disintegrates after a few rainfalls. Often times if its a meandering trail he's disoriented and hurt bad. If its a straight line he's gettin outta Dodge and you'll have a hard time catching up. Bring at least two rolls. You can go through it pretty quick.
    These critters go bad fast, especially in any heat so if its a male and there's a heck of a stink coming off him, the meats probably done.
    Last edited by sawbill; May 21st, 2020 at 11:58 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Keep us posted good luck on the search one positive side it was fairly cool last night.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Move slow and walk off to the side of his track so your tracks don't mess with the stuff he's stirred up. Use toilet paper and at each blood spot stick a piece of paper at chest height. Don't put it on the ground. That way you can look back and see what general direction he's travelling. Good thing about TP is that it disintegrates after a few rainfalls. Often times if its a meandering trail he's disoriented and hurt bad. If its a straight line he's gettin outta Dodge and you'll have a hard time catching up. Bring at least two rolls. You can go through it pretty quick.
    These critters go bad fast, especially in any heat so if its a male and there's a heck of a stink coming off him, the meats probably done.
    I was thinking he might need the second roll if he finds the bear and it’s still alive! Just kidding, good advice. A tricky business for sure. Be safe and go slow.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Good luck, I hope that you find him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast