Thread: Stubborn gobbler problem. Any tips?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Stubborn gobbler problem. Any tips?

The circle is where I was sitting and the Xs are approximately where I heard seperate gobbles. First I came in, heard gobbles, sat down and waited with No decoy, no calling except a few clucks. He came within 50 yards inside the bush from me and stood there for an hour gobbling his head off. He eventually headed off towards the other gobbler further south.
    Screenshot_20200522-132139~2.jpg

After he left, I put a lone feeding hen (moving) decoy 20 yards from me and threw a few yelps. Again he came in close, I did some clucks and purrs when he wouldn't budge but still, he headed off towards the other gobbler again.

A pattern I've been noticing recently is usually a distant gobbler pulls them away from me and they refuse to go out in the open but gobble VERY aggressively when they're close to a clearing. I picked up a gobble tube, I also have a jake decoy.

Any tips would be appreciated!
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If the gobbler comes close, then hangs up, once he leaves again sneak into the spot where he hangs up, call a couple times then go quiet...get ready so there is no movement, and wait...when sitting out with no blind, pick a spot where you are in the shade, and some natural cover....weeds, branches etc....you can’t even move your head, just your eyes.....turkeys stick their heads way up when looking around. You won’t see that little head, but he will see you and slink away. You won’t even know he was there...

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Like Rick said get to that tree line and give him a gobble a wait. He feels safe inside, don’t move and just wait.
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

User Info Menu

Hunt him in the woods.
    Krete

Bills n' Thrills.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yeah this year I’ve dealt with a a few stubborn ones myself. They familiarize the calling positions. I’ve you can sneak to a close but different location try doing so. I like hunting them in the woods instead of the fields because they are forced to investigate after you go silent once they’ve gobbled from your calls. Be patient. Sometimes more then normal. Keep in mind as long as he’s gobbling, he’s around. You never know what else may sneak In in the meantime. I’ve had this happen a few times. As I’m watching the left a quiet less dominant Tom sneaks into me on my right. Trying to not draw attention and cause a fight and maybe get some unexpected action.

Yesterday I used an old Tom fan of mine to sneak into range of two huge toms. They came right for me. Got ready for the shot and then the neighbours tractor scared them off!! Also a useful tactic.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marky.mark View Post
    Yeah this year I’ve dealt with a a few stubborn ones myself. They familiarize the calling positions. I’ve you can sneak to a close but different location try doing so. I like hunting them in the woods instead of the fields because they are forced to investigate after you go silent once they’ve gobbled from your calls. Be patient. Sometimes more then normal. Keep in mind as long as he’s gobbling, he’s around. You never know what else may sneak In in the meantime. I’ve had this happen a few times. As I’m watching the left a quiet less dominant Tom sneaks into me on my right. Trying to not draw attention and cause a fight and maybe get some unexpected action.

Yesterday I used an old Tom fan of mine to sneak into range of two huge toms. They came right for me. Got ready for the shot and then the neighbours tractor scared them off!! Also a useful tactic.
    I would not recommend this tactic if there is any chance of another hunter(s), in the area.....good way to get shot !!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    I would not recommend this tactic if there is any chance of another hunter(s), in the area.....good way to get shot !!
    Lucky for me there are no other hunters in the area, but a reaper is too cumbersome to use with a crossbow anyways. Thanks for the tips! I'll try in the bush tomorrow, there is a small swampy green clearing in the bush about 60 yards wide where he was that I'll sit in. I didn't try sneaking in the first time because I was confident that he'd come out, I've seen him exit from there before in the afternoon some weeks back, and there are plenty of fresh turkey tracks on the field. Do you think I should experiment with a gobble call?
    Last edited by MihajloSimsic; May 22nd, 2020 at 07:52 PM.
    "When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MihajloSimsic View Post
    Lucky for me there are no other hunters in the area, but a reaper is too cumbersome to use with a crossbow anyways. Thanks for the tips! I'll try in the bush tomorrow, there is a small swampy green clearing in the bush about 60 yards wide where he was that I'll sit in. I didn't try sneaking in the first time because I was confident that he'd come out, I've seen him exit from there before in the afternoon some weeks back, and there are plenty of fresh turkey tracks on the field. Do you think I should experiment with a gobble call?
    I would give it a try especially in your situation. Don't go crazy on it, what has worked for me in the past was yelp first and as soon as you finish yelping give it a gobble right away and wait. You don't want to be to aggressive, you just want to let him know theres another gobbler moving in on his hens. Good luck
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

What time of day are you out? I do think 10-4 is probably best to hunt in the bush. Do get closer if you can
    I started noticing my males hitting the field more at about 5-6:45 pm now to feed.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeta View Post
    I do think 10-4 is probably best to hunt in the bush..
    I whole heartily agree..In recent years I've shot most of my Toms back in the bush during that time frame.