Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Season Tom -Tagged out

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Late Season Tom -Tagged out

the morning:

Went out with a buddy and got to a spot at 5:15 or so to listed from a high point. we get one gobble off the limb and then the silent treatment. we finally spot him in the tree line of the neighbouring property. i have never seen a more disinterested bird before. he barely even looks over at us from 150yds away despite our calls of love. He moves off into the bush and we know he's not interested. we left a little disappointed. (found 3 morels though! my first ones ever)

we hopped in the truck and drove around the corner and by 7:30 we were at the corner of a new field to see if we could get lucky. first call in and a gobbler responds and close <200 yds but we can't see through the tree line. i start crawling up to the tree line which is actually a farmer ditch and get eyes on the turk. he's on top of a small knoll strutting his stuff, look to the right and theres a hen in the field too, as i keep looking, there are about 6 or 7 turkeys just hanging out. my buddy continues to call and the Tom responds sparingly but doesn't move from his spot. i quickly realize if this is going to happen we have to go to them. i start crawling down the ditch checking in every 20 or 30m to make sure noone has moved off. my buddy stayed back to keep calling. i finally make it to the group after a 150m or so belly type crawl, soaking wet and slowly crawl out of the ditch into the tall grass and set up prone.

Looking through the grass, it was very hard to tell how far they were, some were definitely well in range of less than 25yds but others maybe not. a close bird with a red-head who caught some sublte movement started giving me the stink eye but without seeing a beard, i didn't shoot. the bird didn't spook either. with the wind, it was probably hard to tell why the grass was moving, just stared at me. The boss tom was still on the knoll with hens mingling about. finally i decided to take the shot. there were hens nearby so i need to wait till they move off so i didn't catch them with the spread. laying prone and the turks calm gave me plenty of time to wait for a good shot, finally the gobbler moved a few steps toward me and away from the hens so i let out a few yelps to raise his head and boom. dropped on the spot, no flapping, just stoned him.

this was my first stalk on a turkey and probably my favourite hunt to date. late to work but well worth it.

final stats: 10" beard, 7/8" spurs and 19.5 lbs.

turk 2 G&G.jpg

Turk 2 - Beard.jpgTurk 2 Spur.jpgMorels.jpg
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Congrats and welcome too the club. With the temps this week it sure made it tough to stick it out. Looks like this weekend should have excellent conditions for those still at it
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Way to go, I've been saying it all season this year. Sometime's you just have to go to them (when its safe of course) You will be surprised with the right terrain how close you can get. Congrats on the bird
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Nice story, great looking tail on the bird
    Congrats
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

User Info Menu

Now that's how to pull a rabbit out of a hat! Well done!
    "What calm deer hunter's heart has not skipped a beat when the stillness of a cold November morning is broken by the echoes of hounds tonguing yonder?" -Anonymous-

User Info Menu

Nice Turkey, Congrats

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Well done, congrats and thanks for sharing!
    “Think safety first and then have a good hunt.”
    - Tom Knapp -

User Info Menu

Congrats on a great season!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tom gobble View Post
    Way to go, I've been saying it all season this year. Sometime's you just have to go to them (when its safe of course) You will be surprised with the right terrain how close you can get. Congrats on the bird
    wild eh. a few were looking at me but couldn't figure it out. i couldn't believe i was able to crawl within 30yds of turkeys and have them essentially unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by fratri
    Nice story, great looking tail on the bird
    Congrats
    i agree, my best looking fan for sure. i kept both fans, i want to make a decoy with a real tail fan

Quote Originally Posted by finsfurfeathers
    Congrats and welcome too the club. With the temps this week it sure made it tough to stick it out. Looks like this weekend should have excellent conditions for those still at it
    i think i lost 20% body mass in water that morning. it was spicy. Crawling in the ditch was actually the best part, basically had a cool bath
    A Hunt Based Only On Trophies Taken Falls Far Short Of What The Ultimate Goal Should Be - Fred Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast