Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Prop help

  1. #1
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default Prop help UPDATE

    Hi there
    Looking for some advice, I got a 2007 Mercury 2.5hp 4 stroke.... I want to replace the propeller, one of the fins is chipped. I removed the cotter pin but the darn thing won't come off. I tapped it lightly with a hammer but no dice. Any recommendations/ideas? It seems simple enough but I am worried I am going to break something internally if I hit it too hard.... The prop setup can be seen in this video at the 3:20 mark...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41V-SnWrgZ4
    Thank you
    Last edited by fratri; May 30th, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Use a block of wood like a piece of 2x2 or something between the hammer and prop ( close to the hub as possible) to give it a whack in the right direction, once the nut (if it has one?) and pin are out she should slide off, I wouldn't go full gorilla on it but it might be a bit stuck to the shaft.
    Last edited by dean.f; May 29th, 2020 at 05:42 PM.

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Use a block of wood like a piece of 2x2 or something between the hammer and prop ( close to the hub as possible) to give it a whack in the right direction, once the nut (if it has one?) and pin are out she should slide off, I wouldn't go full gorilla on it but it might be a bit stuck to the shaft.
    Ya think it's definitely stuck to the shaft.... No nut, just a cotter pin holding it on to the shear pin.....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  5. #4
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Go and borrow a 3 legged gear puller, that should get it off without too much effort.

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Go and borrow a 3 legged gear puller, that should get it off without too much effort.
    Not so sure how that would work, it is plastic and there is no open middle to get that screw up against it .....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  7. #6
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Not sure if you have tried it, but tapping the prop back on and off a few times might loosen it if the original tapping off has caused the prop to become jammed?? Aint gonna hurt.
    John

  8. #7
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Capture2.JPG

    According to the owner's manual, sounds like it may be seized to the shaft, in which case they say head to a dealer for removal.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

  9. #8
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Not so sure how that would work, it is plastic and there is no open middle to get that screw up against it .....
    Ah, understood, one of those props.

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    Capture2.JPG

    According to the owner's manual, sounds like it may be seized to the shaft, in which case they say head to a dealer for removal.
    Yes, I have read that too is why I wanted to post on here for tips...
    I am going to try and tap with a hammer and wood again and if that doesn't work, I am going to cut it off somehow, but first I will order the new one.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  11. #10
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Assuming there could be a little space between the hub and the back of the prop how about taking 2 wedges of wood on opposite sides and tapping them in to force the prop to move out. I've use that technique using aluminum strips with a wedge ground on one side to remove small bearings off a motor rotor where a puller wasn't practical. I put one wedge in a vice and rested the rotor on it and put the other wedge on top and tapped it to move the bearing up the shaft.
    Smitty

    Straight shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •