Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop help

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Prop help UPDATE

Hi there
    Looking for some advice, I got a 2007 Mercury 2.5hp 4 stroke.... I want to replace the propeller, one of the fins is chipped. I removed the cotter pin but the darn thing won't come off. I tapped it lightly with a hammer but no dice. Any recommendations/ideas? It seems simple enough but I am worried I am going to break something internally if I hit it too hard.... The prop setup can be seen in this video at the 3:20 mark...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41V-SnWrgZ4
    Thank you
    Last edited by fratri; May 30th, 2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Use a block of wood like a piece of 2x2 or something between the hammer and prop ( close to the hub as possible) to give it a whack in the right direction, once the nut (if it has one?) and pin are out she should slide off, I wouldn't go full gorilla on it but it might be a bit stuck to the shaft.
    Last edited by dean.f; May 29th, 2020 at 05:42 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dean.f View Post
    Use a block of wood like a piece of 2x2 or something between the hammer and prop ( close to the hub as possible) to give it a whack in the right direction, once the nut (if it has one?) and pin are out she should slide off, I wouldn't go full gorilla on it but it might be a bit stuck to the shaft.
    Ya think it's definitely stuck to the shaft.... No nut, just a cotter pin holding it on to the shear pin.....

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Go and borrow a 3 legged gear puller, that should get it off without too much effort.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Go and borrow a 3 legged gear puller, that should get it off without too much effort.
    Not so sure how that would work, it is plastic and there is no open middle to get that screw up against it .....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Not sure if you have tried it, but tapping the prop back on and off a few times might loosen it if the original tapping off has caused the prop to become jammed?? Aint gonna hurt.
    John

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Capture2.JPG

According to the owner's manual, sounds like it may be seized to the shaft, in which case they say head to a dealer for removal.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Not so sure how that would work, it is plastic and there is no open middle to get that screw up against it .....
    Ah, understood, one of those props.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by delmer View Post
    Capture2.JPG

According to the owner's manual, sounds like it may be seized to the shaft, in which case they say head to a dealer for removal.
    Yes, I have read that too is why I wanted to post on here for tips...
    I am going to try and tap with a hammer and wood again and if that doesn't work, I am going to cut it off somehow, but first I will order the new one.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Assuming there could be a little space between the hub and the back of the prop how about taking 2 wedges of wood on opposite sides and tapping them in to force the prop to move out. I've use that technique using aluminum strips with a wedge ground on one side to remove small bearings off a motor rotor where a puller wasn't practical. I put one wedge in a vice and rested the rotor on it and put the other wedge on top and tapped it to move the bearing up the shaft.
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast