Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer chewing on Dogwood Trees

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Deer chewing on Dogwood Trees

A landowner showed me where numerous Alternate Leaved Dogwood trees have been chewed, basically killing the trees. There are hundreds of acres of forests
    and agricultural land on and around this property so the deer should be well fed. Is there something in the bark that the deer are after? I have never seen this before.
    The property is in the bottom end of grey County.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Are you sure its deer and not porcupines.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdeer View Post
    A landowner showed me where numerous Alternate Leaved Dogwood trees have been chewed, basically killing the trees. There are hundreds of acres of forests
    and agricultural land on and around this property so the deer should be well fed. Is there something in the bark that the deer are after? I have never seen this before.
    The property is in the bottom end of grey County.
    Deer are browsers, and they definitely like fresh new growth, that,s what they live on.
    Last edited by jaycee; June 2nd, 2020 at 10:47 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We had the deer do the same thing at my place in South Bruce County. All throughout my property almost every tree has 1/2 the bark chewed off. Definitely deer as the marks are as high as 5 feet,

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I moved a 3’ Sassafras tree into the yard this spring. Came out with 6 leaves on it thinking well it made it

Watched as Deer walked by grab a leaf next deer grabbed a leaf so on till it’s now leafless

There hard to get started deep tap root.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Get out your hair clippers, collect up the trimmings and stuff in socks or pantyhose. Hang the hair around or from the trees.
    Deer will avoid them.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; June 2nd, 2020 at 09:27 PM.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Deer love dogwood.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Member for Life

User Info Menu

2C065D27-2D8D-4585-997A-5BA1391DE6DD.jpg40DFC3D7-B1F0-404C-ACDC-D5AD58326957.jpg
    This is pretty typical for my whole property where these trees are present.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Any of you have wild rose bushes. Have a lot here some 10’-12’ tall
    The thorns will cut you to shreds if you try to work through them. Some seem to reach out and grab you just to make you bleed
    Deer eat these how I have no idea

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I hear ya js4fn ! I must be down the road from you(Clear Creek, Norfolk County) because I've got wild rose everywhere ! Some I spray and some I take my weed whacker with the triple blade on it to them. I wish the deer would eat more of them. LoL ! I have seen deer dive into a wall of that stuff and disappear . Amazing ? My other bane is bramble berry , another flesh eating plant ! Lmao ! As was stated , deer are browsers and until the farm crops are up they will nibble on any new growth available.
    Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast