Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sail Files For Bankruptcy

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Something I have always noticed is Canadian own companies put zero effort into their websites and then complain Canadians buy to much from the US. US sites put 150% effort into their website and are very easy to work with. Quite often Canadian companies will mark up products by hundreds of a percent. I have been pricing Metal roofing for my house just the Ameic-Can stuff like you see in the country. Ottawa price to by is $8000.00 the Us price at a company in Ogdensburg that I have done business with in the past 2000.00 including the exchange. That's quite a difference in price. A 6000 thousand dollars savings.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I agree....Cabela's on-line presence and free shipping (most of the time) is a no brainer to when it comes to buying the same stuff they sell at Sail. Why spend time and gas to go to a 'bricks and morter' store when it can be delivered to your door for no charge.
    Yep.....Cabela's online is easy and usually free shipping. Great selection and easy to migrate and find what I need.
    I was holding my breath when Bass Pro bought them. I have never liked Bass Pro online shopping, the prices are in USA currency or their produce line for the most part. Glad nothing changed for Cabela's after the purchase. I have never shopped Sail but sad to hear they closed. Sadly there will be more closures to come due to Covid-19 I'm afraid
    Last edited by huntnmachine; June 2nd, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

OFAH and CCFR member

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I remember one of the 1st on-line Hunting supply stores was S.I.R in WinPeg.....used to buy stuff from them, they were years ahead of other stores. ..no wonder Cabela's bought them out.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Had a couple of peeves with them, they wouldn't take a gift card for online sales and they didn't open until 10 am at the stores I wanted to shop at, sorry to see them go as they did have a decent selection of outdoor wear, coats, boots, shoes etc.
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I tried Sail to ship a sport shoe from one store to other they refused ...
    I asked them to ship it to my house from Quebec to Ontario they refused what I was hoping to buy was on sale
    last piece ( I was using those shoes for years ( 4 pairs in past ) even I would pay for the shipping ....
    It is a pricey store...

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Doesn't surprise me thought they have no real online ordering system and Cabela's has probably stolen a lot of customers.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Exactly. If you don’t step up to changing times, you quickly are left in the dust.
    Hopefully they are still around when I can travel, I have a gift card.
    When you can’t use gift cards for online purchases, then you have a problem. They should have had all of this in place well before the end of March.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Sucks to see a company go but not gonna miss them, had horrible customer service experience 3 times at the one in ottawa, not gonna lie if the close will definitely check out there store closing sales but other than that haven't walked into a store for anything even if cheaper because of how rude their staff was to me and my wife when we purchased our first shotgun 3 years ago. I have shopped alot at cabelas just cause their the only other place in ottawa but I have also take a trip to the ammo source store in kingston and if I have the extra gas I will always support smaller companies like them out in kingston over big box stores but sail was absolutely the worse to deal with everytime I went in

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I ordered some waders from them once online - 60% off, a clearance item. Awesome, i will get a better product for the same price I wanted to spend. Get an email a few days later saying its out of stock. So how could I order and pay for it then. Oh well, so i call CS and ask for 60% in store for a similar product. They say the stores are not owned by the same people who run the online, so they call the store and the manager agrees to let me pick out a similar wader for 60% off. Overall was very happy but goes to show their online presence and issues.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not surprised. There was just too much retail space for the outdoors market. You can only divide up the pie so many ways.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I shopped quite a lot at the Oshawa store for fishing gear and bought a couple of hunting jackets (camo and blaze orange) and various other stuff until their prices started to climb about two years ago. Eventually,they priced themselves out of the market for a lot of stuff. Firearm prices were right out to lunch. Ever since,I've stuck with Easthill Outdoors or Gagnon's for specialty items,but,mostly with Canadian Tire for everything else. It's sad to see this happen with another Canadian company biting the dust. I hear Rona is in the same boat if they don't soon smarten up,too.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast