Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Black Bear in London

  1. #1
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default Black Bear in London

    So we have a black bear in London today. Don't know bears well enough to age and sex it confidently. It is up in a tree near green space that has the Thames river running through it. It was apparently sighted near Ilderton last night.

    I was told by a bystander that it was 1 year old and maybe 150lbs. They showed me a photo, I'm guessing it is less 150, but I'm no expert.

    I was under the impression though that cubs are typically 2 yrs old when they get kicked out by the sow.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    When they said 1 yr old I am guessing they meant last year (2 winters ago) making it 1 1/2 year old... Someone will correct me if I am wrong....
    Bears in London very cool
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    When they said 1 yr old I am guessing they meant last year (2 winters ago) making it 1 1/2 year old... Someone will correct me if I am wrong....
    Bears in London very cool
    Very cool, but probably not for the bear? They'll likely shoot it?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  5. #4
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    MNR was there with a trap. There didn't seem to be any nervous energy there. So I hope that translates into a calm patient response for the bear.

  6. #5
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb750 View Post
    MNR was there with a trap. There didn't seem to be any nervous energy there. So I hope that translates into a calm patient response for the bear.
    Maybe you are far enough from the GTA that the bear has a chance .........
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  7. #6
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    There was another one in downtown Peterborough,yesterday,that OMNR drugged and removed. It was a yearling,too.
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

  8. #7
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    There was another one in downtown Peterborough,yesterday,that OMNR drugged and removed. It was a yearling,too.
    I wonder just how far away they actually "remove" it? 20 miles? 50? 100? Is the bear tagged?
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I wonder just how far away they actually "remove" it? 20 miles? 50? 100? Is the bear tagged?
    If it's the same story as problem bears in Algonquin, it would be tagged and released however if it gets into trouble again, night night Sally!

    Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

  10. #9
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I wonder just how far away they actually "remove" it? 20 miles? 50? 100? Is the bear tagged?
    The Bears are tagged to warn that it's been a bad boy and also that it's had drugs introduced into it's system. If you shoot one,make sure to call the 1-800 number on the tag for information as to which drug was used and if the meat is safe to consume.
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

  11. #10
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    The Bears are tagged to warn that it's been a bad boy and also that it's had drugs introduced into it's system. If you shoot one,make sure to call the 1-800 number on the tag for information as to which drug was used and if the meat is safe to consume.
    I've only hunted bear a few times, havent for several years. But I have been known to persuade them to leave my camp property. Some left voluntarily, others I had to give a helping hand. Have never seen a tag on any.
    Although care has been taken in preparing the information contained in the above post, the author does not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. All rights reserved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •