Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Boat Advice?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Any Boat Advice?

I know the boat discussion can be along the lines of best truck, car etc....but want advice if anybody has one of these boats I've decided I'm gonna' sell my 2014 pontoon, and my 18' crestliner jon boat and get one boat for fish and ski. I've been looking at (priced highest to lowest)...Lund, Crestliner,Lowes and Legends. All in the 17 and 18' range. They all have the flip up back seats that convert to fish platform, and all can have padding on the bow to lay on when not fishing. Anybody have any of these 2019/2020 that could offer some input? Any is appreciated, thx.
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Avoid riveted hulls.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Even these days? I was under the impression Lund, Starcraft both have riveted hulls. They have lifetime warranty as far as I know....
    This isn't a test run................Enjoy er'.......

Member for Life

User Info Menu

ya I was going to ask, why avoid riveted hulls...... just curious
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    ya I was going to ask, why avoid riveted hulls...... just curious
    Do NOT get a riveted hull unless u want problems down the road.
    i have a 2002 Legend, and it started taking on a lot of water in summer of 2018.
    Had to take it to Barrie Legend as my Ft. Erie dealer had closed up.
    took Barrie 4 1/2 months to repair it...67 rivets and 4 welds later.
    and the Legend company wouldn’t cover anything for the repairs!
    I still haven’t had it out fishing yet, as I’m having ongoing motor throttle issues now.
    i will never buy another riveted hull if I can ever afford to get another boat!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I had the opposite issue. My Starcraft welded hull split. I had to take it to Elkhart Ind. myself to get fixed under warrantee. The next year, it split again. I dumped that POS and went to a riveted PolarKraft. Never one issue in over 10 years. I’d go PolarKraft again. I will never buy a welded hull.
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Avoid riveted hulls.
    I take it you don't fly in any aircraft then.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Do NOT get a riveted hull unless u want problems down the road.
    i have a 2002 Legend, and it started taking on a lot of water in summer of 2018.
    Had to take it to Barrie Legend as my Ft. Erie dealer had closed up.
    took Barrie 4 1/2 months to repair it...67 rivets and 4 welds later.
    and the Legend company wouldn’t cover anything for the repairs!
    I still haven’t had it out fishing yet, as I’m having ongoing motor throttle issues now.
    i will never buy another riveted hull if I can ever afford to get another boat!!
    There's the answer..Legend, not the quality control like a buritto, doesn't matter what it looks like it will still give you the sh...s.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I've had 2 princecrafts, an old 1970's, never leaked and a 1996 that I still have, no leaks. Both riveted.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you pound a boat hard in rough conditions I don't care what make or model you have, it will eventually start to leak. I have a little 12 ft Bluefin that I bought in the early 70's, does not leak one drop to this day. Many of our work boats experienced the same. Ride'em hard and they'll leak sooner or later. Back off in the rough going and it'll last decades.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast