View Poll Results: Do you want like/dislike features back on the Forum?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 76.74%
  • No

10 23.26%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you like the Forum to have a like/dislike button?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You mean for each answer? No. Will cause too much "What did I say wrong?" There already is one for each thread which I think is a good idea.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Sometimes it’s not worth commenting. A polite like/dislike can keep it civil yet reflect general opinions.
    X2. 40 posts with 20 of them being a quote with X2 is not a conversation.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    X2. 40 posts with 20 of them being a quote with X2 is not a conversation.
    X2 on that as well LOL good point
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I saw a research paper on this topic...very interesting findings...it summarized why people like (or is it need) a 'like button:

In this paper, I have argued that the like button can have significant effects on the brain and that it contributes to a harmful cycle of the ego, in which people feel compelled to both search for likes and like other people’s posts. While visibility, popularity and self-branding play a role in getting more ‘likes,’ it seems likely that there are other psychological processes at hand that contribute to our need for external gratification and internal validation. I argue that validation is what we seek most (in real life and online) and that through the like button, we can achieve a short-term ego boost, which never settles into the long-term and can never truly fix this necessity for approval or reassurance; in other words, you are always left wanting more because you have not been fulfilled. It might be human nature to want to connect with people, but online, it is about more than just connecting: it is about receiving positive reinforcement. We want people to agree with us and to validate us as participatory individuals in the social media sphere.
    https://sweetsweer.wordpress.com/201...k-like-button/
    Last edited by MikePal; July 14th, 2020 at 06:48 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    You mean for each answer? No. Will cause too much "What did I say wrong?" There already is one for each thread which I think is a good idea.
    I hadn't really put that much thought into this originally, but it peeked my interest and your right Sharon, there is a 'dark side' to the 'Like' button.

Past research has shown that generally, people with low self-esteem are especially likely to take others’ negative comments to heart. Recently, researchers at Facebook found that this carries over to reactions to online feedback. Those with low self-esteem tend to feel bad if they perceive that a Facebook post of theirs has received an insufficient number of likes. This is unfortunate because while those with low self-esteem are especially likely to see Facebook as a place they can seek support, they actually get less positive feedback on their posts than their more confident counterparts.7 This research suggests that those with low self-esteem are more susceptible to the effects of this social media feedback — If they get positive feedback they feel especially good, and if they don’t get it, they feel especially bad.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I hadn't really put that much thought into this originally, but it peeked my interest and your right Sharon, there is a 'dark side' to the 'Like' button.
    Ive got to say, I use the like button to give approval to others, kind of a "I hear what you're saying". For me Id rather give likes to others, if people like my posts too thats great, but I "like" more posts then actual posts I create. For me its just a polite way to agree with someone.

I also will look for posts with more "likes" when a question is being asked and answers vary to see what common agreement there is.

The x2 thing is annoying to read through, doesn't add an substance to the forum. A simple "like" is contributing more IMO and more likely people will hit "like" then post "x2 agree"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TroutSlayer View Post
    I voted no, mostly because the "post counters" will use it as a tool to hit the magic "50 posts to sell stuff" goal. I can see people hitting "Like" or "Dislike" on every post on the forum to get their counts up into the top ten, but hey, I don't really care anymore. Looks like 20 of our 15,000 members have voted. Add the buttons, my fingers are ready!
    I guess I'm a little late to the thread,but,it wouldn't it be easy to not allow a "like" click to be included in a post count?
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I dont think clicking like adds to your post count, at least it doesn't on other forums I am on. So I dont think thats an issue...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    I dont think clicking like adds to your post count, at least it doesn't on other forums I am on. So I dont think thats an issue...
    That is completely correct, DW. A comparison would be "contributing to polls raises our post count." The post count is, appropriately enough, the count of what has been posted.

I hear most members leaning towards No, but we'll leave this up for a wee while yet for more feedback.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I'd rather there was a like button. I'd like to see a dislike button too. Maybe a dont care button while your at it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast