Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firearms used at Rideau Hall Identifed

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    It does if the RCMP checks their own data base and it shows he's doesn't have a PAL or RPAL...
    I dont disagree completely but let play devil's advocate here, let's say your neighbout just want to be an a hole and call the cops saying they have seen guns in you house and their scared. And let's say in this scenario you do not have a RPAL or PAL, would you appreciate the cops ( RCMP, OPP, local police) to come in a look around and potentially look everywhere in your house because you neighbour's are pissed you have a party and went later than they wanted ( even if it is within the bylaws regualtions) or you cur you lawn yearly for the late sleeper next door. I 1000% agree someone dropped the ball somewhere but as a liscense gun owner i dont want someone to make a call and now i have to deal with the cops.

And just an FYI (not gun or arms related or domestic issues) but my wife and I have had to deal with cops showing up and I did not agree with how we were treated, was it just 1 a hole cop with a chip on his shoulder, or is cops have to deal with to many ppl make false accusations and they are "sick" of dealing with it. We had a BS call that we were beating our child and she was not being properly taken care of. 10pm at night cops show up she opened door ( I was at the store not far away) and coped pushed himself into the house, even though my wife asked to wait outside until I got home since it was all male personel ( 2 cops showed up, as well as 2 paramedics) she said she would wait with door open and standing there incase the daughter woke up until I got home. Cop didn't even care and pushed her out of the way and started looking aroun, including our fridge and kitchen to make sure there was food, as well we had to wake our daughter up and take her pajamas off to make sure she had no evidence of abuse and even then. We had to go to the hospital because whoever called said she was worried cause she said she was gonna hurt herself.

So to be honest phone calls unfortunately need to be taken with a grain of salt but should not be dismissed completely. Where do you draw the line of abuse of power and following protocol? I have a brother been RCMP for 10 years, well as a brother in law graduating tomorrow from depot (RCMP training in regina) so even with law enforcement "in the family" I have a hard time with this issue
    Last edited by Pair88; July 12th, 2020 at 05:40 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnjyb View Post
    We don't need "someone at the RCMP" to be made an example of, we need the person/people at the RCMP who recieved these reports and failed to act on them to be held responsible.
    We, law-abiding gun owners, are "being made an example of" because someone dropped the ball with the N.S. RCMP. That doesn't work or solve any problems.
    John
    Yea held responsible as in how, a paid "reprimanded" time off or transfer to a different department? thats b.s, heads need to roll. They dropped multiple balls and now they nor the provincial or federal government are giving answers? smells like theres lots to cover up!

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

It does if the RCMP checks their own data base and it shows he's doesn't have a PAL or RPAL...
    I agree, but where's the proof he has firearms based on a neighbors phone call? If every phone call allowed the police to enter peoples homes anybody could have their guns taken away from a single phone call that may have zero truth.
    I'm not defending the shooter in the least, but if just one phone call from bitter spouse or arsehole neighbors can allow your property to be taken think how many guns could be confiscated from law abiding citizens.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Police can't legally enter your house based only on a single phone call.
    No JP would sign off on a warrant without more info.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They were told, repeatedly, he had guns....they knew he wasn't licensed...yet the never investigated.

" A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago and ended up leaving the community herself due to fears of his violence."

No the RCMP really are deeply responsible in this tragedy...they should have diffused this years ago.
    We must take care not to lump these cases together. Each one is different on it's own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    Some need to think about themselves if you have a neighbor out to make life miserable and call the police on you and tell them you have guns and are a violent person. It doesn't give the police a right to come in your house and take your guns over a phone call. The police cant come and take your booze away because you might drink and drive. Be careful what you ask for, not saying this guy didnt have problems, but theres many times when a neighbor or even a spouse call the cops and report a person to have guns and being unstable. Police need to investigate first before they confiscate your property, not all reports to police are truthful. Police cant predict the future, and we do have our Charter rights. Nut cases are just that your never going to know if or when they snap.
    While that's absolutely true,that doesn't seem to be the case here. This subject "telegraphed" plenty of warning through social media,but,no one reported. We need to know why because without timely information,the system simply can't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    "Exigent circumstances" alleging abuse in a domestic complaint doesn't require a warrant. Failing to act on a serious complaint,whether or not it's from a single phone call could be deemed as "dereliction of duty." Once an occurrence is generated,a dispatched Constable doesn't have the luxury of discretion whether to answer or not. The system kicks in a everything must be followed to the letter.
    Society needs to stop bending to the will of the delusional.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post

"Exigent circumstances" alleging abuse in a domestic complaint doesn't require a warrant. Failing to act on a serious complaint,whether or not it's from a single phone call could be deemed as "dereliction of duty." Once an occurrence is generated,a dispatched Constable doesn't have the luxury of discretion whether to answer or not. The system kicks in a everything must be followed to the letter.
    Where is a 'like' button when you need it HaHa..

Love how keyboard lawyers pipe up a soon as they 'think' their rights are being violated.

Anyone who considered themselves to be threatened by your possession of a Firearm, can make a complaint to the RCMP and may result in having your PAL/RPAL revolked.

From the Firearms act:

Investigation

(2) Without restricting the scope of the inquiries that may be made with respect to an application for a licence, a chief firearms officer may conduct an investigation of the applicant, which may consist of interviews with neighbours, community workers, social workers, individuals who work or live with the applicant, spouse or common-law partner, former spouse or former common-law partner, dependants or whomever in the opinion of the chief firearms officer may provide information pertaining to whether the applicant is eligible under section 5 to hold a licence.
    You agreed to that when you signed your application form...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Anyone who considered themselves to be threatened by your possession of a Firearm, can make a complaint to the RCMP and may result in having your PAL/RPAL revolked..
    It's amazing how many folks out there forget that, or are ignorant of the fact, that police can and will bust your door in, seize your firearms and ammunition, if they suspect you may be a danger, based simply on the erroneous complaint of a vengeful neighbour.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    It's amazing how many folks out there forget that, or are ignorant of the fact, that police can and will bust your door in, seize your firearms and ammunition, if they suspect you may be a danger, based simply on the erroneous complaint of a vengeful neighbour.
    Like the recent narrative of the white dog owner being asked in the park to put her dog on its leash by a dark bird watcher who was attempting to take pictures of birds, which the unleashed dog kept frightening off. She call the police on the dark guy saying he was making unwanted advance on her, in order .to get him in trouble. However some cell phone footage iced that complain, and she was finally charged with making false accusations..

I’m not sure if it was a firearm matter, if the situation could be so easily be turned about like that.

You stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

They still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmoose View Post
    I think you will find that in matters of domestic abuse or firearms related offences, police will err on the side of caution, and sort out the details after any possible threats or offences have been eliminated....CYA !! Obviously the RCMP dropped the ball !!
    “If you’re not a Liberal by twenty, you have no heart. If you’re not a Conservative by forty, you have no brain.”
    -Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast