Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 SPS

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js4fn View Post
    I have a 870 wingmaster in 16gauge. I would have been willing to sell it but without any gun shows might just hold it till see what future brings
    What kind of shape us it in How.much you looking fot

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

User Info Menu

There is a awsome 870 sps two barrle combo in camo on gun nuts.for 800$

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Love the 870 sps. Got a great deal on it a couple years back and made a few minor tweaks.

- Volquartsen extractor
    - Limbsaver Airtech Precision-fit recoil pad
    - Timney Trigger Fix 1lb-10oz pull
    - Sold the Tru Glo red dot and replaced with Leupold VX-1 1-4x20mm scope with Turkey Plex reticle

Yeah the trigger pull is crazy light for a hunting shotgun but after testing it out I had to leave it, just felt so right.
    A little overkill, but I like to tinker and customize.

Years ago I wanted to build a dedicated turkey cannon and made one out of a Benelli SuperNova. It was alright, but after handling the 870 in store with the shorter barrel and sureshot stock I knew I found the new winner.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Nice turkey getter........how long is the bbl? What shell does it like? I made a dedicated turkey gun out of a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 410001661 View Post
    Nice turkey getter........how long is the bbl? What shell does it like? I made a dedicated turkey gun out of a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip.
    20” barrel. Using 3.5” mag blends now, but recently bought a few Kent TK7’s to pattern this summer when I get around to it.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Timney trigger would be a great upgrade for the 870 for rifled barrels.

It's the first thing I notice trying to shoot an 870. Trigger feels about 25lbs after using my rifles that are 2lb pull max.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Both guns will go BOOM when you pull the trigger and both guns are MORE than capable of killing a turkey/deer - other than that you are talking preference (ex) Ford vs GM.

The 835 Ulti-Mag – Tactical Turkey has a nice pistol grip and adjustable stock which is helpful if you like a shorter stock and/or you can adjust the LOP depending on the layers of clothes you are wearing. It also comes from the factory drilled and tapped from the factory for mounting a rail/scope or red dot.

The 870 is probably the most popular pump shotgun of all time - over 10 million units have been made. There are probably more accessories available for the Remington 870 than all other shotguns combined. The gun is so popular that China is making unlicensed copies of the gun (Norinco). You know what they say......."imitation is the highest form of flattery". Most of the guns you see out there are wither an Express/SPS or a Wingmaster. The main difference is the Wingmaster comes in upgraded wood stock and blued steel bbl and receiver and the bolt and bolt carrier has a better finish making the action silky smooth. The Express/SPS is still a very nice shotgun but it is designed to be a hunting tool not a safe queen. As soon as you pick up the 870 SPS you will notice the quality in the form and finish. I like the stock thumbhole/pistol grip design design of the SPS, and it too comes drilled and tapped from the factory.

I suggest you shoulder each of them and make your decision based on what gun feels best to you. Personally I shoot a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip turkey gun but that was before the other guys started making pistol grips. Good luck and do not forget to post a pic of the new gun when you make your decision.

Cheers - J

User Info Menu

I would look for an an older SPS or an older Express. Both are good guns. The finish on the SP/SPS are better than the Expresses.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I use an 870 in 16 gauge and it works great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lum 24 View Post
    seems to be sooooo many chokes for both available. I dont goose or slug hunt so would be for Turkey only. This is the model i would like

I have one.still in the box. I did fire a few rounds through it to test it.
    Send me a email for pics and more info

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast