Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with porpoising (no, not the mammal)

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy-Seeker View Post
    Hey there, OOD brothers and sisters.

I have had my boat (2018 Nitro Z19 Sport, 200HP Mercury Pro XS 2-stroke) for the last 2 years+ and have recently had issues with porpoising after getting on plane.

It gets out of the hole just fine, but shortly after getting on plane, it starts porpoising pretty badly - even when I trim the motor up. I've been out 3 times this year and it has progressively gotten worse. Also, I don't know how much this factors in, but the trip out in the morning is usually okay, but the return back to the dock at the end of the day is significantly worse. It got so bad yesterday that I had to power down and crawl (just over idling speed) back to the dock

I may end up having to take my boat into the shop, but would like to avoid that if the fix is a simple one.

Any thoughts on what this could be and how it could be remedied?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Tight lines,
    T-S
    Trimming the motor up is only going to make the porpoising worse. Problem is that the motor mounting/trim unit plate won't let you trim the motor down far enough. Short of trying to correct the problem by adding more weight to the bow, I'd be looking at getting a different bolt on transom plate that allows your motor the correct trim range. Any good marina could get you rigged up. My buddy's Skeeter bass boat did the same thing. Problem solved when he added an adjustable aluminum jack plate to the back of the boat.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Another possible simple solution might be the addition of a trim plate (e.g, Doel Fin or Stingray) to your motor.
    I had problems planing and stability when I first got my boat in 20002, but added one of these to the motor and Since then great control.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bobs...late?rrec=true

Here's your cure. You can get fancier plates that are hydraulically controlled but you'll pay $1000-2000 bucks. I'd call the manufacturer first, explain your problem, and make sure the plate will correct your problem. You'll prob. want one that has offset adjustment on it, instead of just verticle adjust. This plate will also cure any cavitation problems you have (you can drop your motor depth by a couple inches and your prop will no longer suck air).

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Not sure where you do your boating, but there many good marinas up here in the Lindsay/Fenelon Falls area that could offer you good advice and easily fix your problems. They could source you the right plate and they could do the install and water test to make sure you're good to go.
    My preference is Fenelon Falls Marina. I trust their mechanics. They've always done great work, no fleecing, and have always corrected, or solved problems incorrectly repaired or mis-diagnosed by other area marinas. Buckhorn Prop Repair is another excellent one. Jamie is the shop manager. They are over in Buckhorn. Great guy. Buckeye Marina in Bobcaygeon could help you as well, but I haven't used their mechanic service since their shop manager Grant quit.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks, genec and Fenelon.

I do have a 10" manual jack plate for my motor. Given your advice, I will look up how to adjust it and will give that a try too.

Tight lines,
    T-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12