Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail cam check up

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Default Trail cam check up

I was near the deer camp last week so I checked 3 trail cams and installed 2 SPYPOINT Cell Link adapters. The deer flies were awful and outnumbered the mosquitoes 100:1! The ticks were out as well and I came home with 2 in the truck... one imbedded in my neck. My wife noticed it and said “What’s that on your neck?”

Because of the deer flies, I was really rushed to set up the Cell Links and I inadvertently shifted one camera position so that it is aimed away from the mineral block.

Out of the 3 cameras, only 1 had decent deer activity and one had no deer at all. They all had bears though and one bit a camera causing light damage.

I don’t have great cell coverage, only 1 - 2 bars but I’m getting pictures.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Curious how the adapters work for you what cameras are you running them on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saskfly View Post
    Curious how the adapters work for you what cameras are you running them on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use Wildgame Innovations Lightsout. The photos appear with the usual WI data beneath the photo as well as a SPYPOINT watermark in the upper right corner. Because the adapter is connected to the camera via the SD card slot, images are stored on a micro SD card in the adapter. Just like the SPYPOINT cameras, the adapter transmits low resolution images to the app but stores HD images on the micro card. In the SPYPOINT app, for a fee, you can view selected images in HD. I will post some photos in the Trail Camera Gallery sub-forum.
    Last edited by Sam Menard; July 12th, 2020 at 09:57 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

How do these connect to the cellular network? Do you have to pay for an account for each of these?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    How do these connect to the cellular network? Do you have to pay for an account for each of these?
    Each camera or adapter has its own SIM card that connects to the cell network. They are not tied to your cell phone account nor do you have to set anything up with a carrier. SPYPOINT holds the account and you are not involved. It’s a very tidy deal.

You get 100 photos transmitted to the app for free per month. Afterwards you have a choice of reasonably priced plans to choose from. Also you can go with the less expensive yearly plans, or pay a bit more to go month to month. Each camera or adapter requires its own transmission plan.
    D0BEDEAC-F7F2-4953-8C2C-34A001C0E9F9.jpg

They also have a feature called “scouting packages” that have features such as: stored photo access, game recognition, and cloud storage.
    9D66B0C1-EE41-4E60-BC4F-8C0D52D7C784.jpg

My thoughts: Unless your camera is set up in an area with few critters, you will likely have to purchase a photo transmission plan ranging from $5 to $15 per month. My cameras are out for about 6 months so I go month to month for 1000 photos. I don’t use the scouting plans as all pictures are stored on a micro SD card anyway and you get free access to low-res images which disappear from the app after 30 days. For $5 you can request up to 50 HD versions of photos in your library. You can also choose to save your photos on your phone.

if you have cell coverage where you hunt these camera and adapters are great tools.
    Last edited by Sam Menard; July 15th, 2020 at 08:53 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It seems I also would have to purchase a special battery pack?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Just keep the sensitivity on medium or low and 100 free pics is more then enough. Worst case you get 250. I have 10 of these cameras.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

agreed with what you said.
    I also set mine up to take pictures at 5 minute intervals no need to have so many pictures of the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marky.mark View Post
    Just keep the sensitivity on medium or low and 100 free pics is more then enough. Worst case you get 250. I have 10 of these cameras.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    It seems I also would have to purchase a special battery pack?
    The adapter uses 8 AA batteries. You should get plenty of life using lithium batteries and uploading once or twice per day. I get 6 months+ and over 5000 pictures with lithium batteries in my trail cameras.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So I just need this and 8 batteries? Might be a good idea.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13896...hoCeiUQAvD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast