Thread: Off-Topic Restricted Users

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Off-Topic Restricted Users

I had noticed a handful of regular contributors had limited access to some of the threads, so I've removed those limits, under the condition that everyone plays nicely.
    I'd like to give back to those who have suffered through the Forum's hiccoughs lately. We're still working on them, but we appreciate your patience, as ever, as we pursue concrete, long-term solutions.
    Thank-you.
    Last edited by MeghanOOD; July 15th, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Well done!

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Was 1 of the reasons some had their access restricted due to them not being able to play well with others without resorting to name calling, degrading comments aimed at others who questioned their beliefs, or just outright trolling???
    Do the mods past and present have notes attached to slaps on the wrist and time-outs they give to users that admin only can see??
    John

Administrator

User Info Menu

John,
    Of course we have private files listing members' infractions for the moderators and admin team to view - otherwise it would be nothing short of public shaming. I'm confident that if poor behaviour does happen (behaviour that directly conflicts with the Forum's guidelines), community members will flag for the moderators and admin team to contend with accordingly. Thanks John.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ah, a fresh start for several. Why not. Keep your eyes open though Megan.

Now I'll stick my neck out:

I'm on another forum where we talk about hunting and dogs. There is an off topic category but it is rarely used- no politics talk allowed.
    Here, MOST of the posts are in the off topic section and few in the hunting, fishing, dogs categories. I think that's sad.
    Maybe if there was no Off Topic section this forum would go back to what it once was.
    Last edited by Sharon; July 15th, 2020 at 04:12 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

I'm on another forum where we talk about hunting and dogs. There is an off topic category but it is rarely used.
    Here, MOST of the posts are in the off topic section and few in the hunting, fishing, dogs categories. I think that's sad.
    Maybe if there was no Off Topic section this forum would go back to what it once was.
    I agree Sharon. I have been pushing to dump all
    "Off Topic" foums since the Caltek days.
    Last edited by TroutSlayer; July 15th, 2020 at 02:54 PM.
    TS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Off topic is for off topics. Taking it away isnt going to make people post more hunting related material.

Forums are a dying breed with facebook the norm now. It's the same with all the forums I visit, Mostly dead now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

-Ted Nugent

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

I'm on another forum where we talk about hunting and dogs. There is an off topic category but it is rarely used- no politics talk allowed.
    Dam now you made me wish there was a LIKE button
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Leads by example

User Info Menu

IMO Off Topic posts can be fine if the guidelines are set and enforced.
    To be honest I believe too much politics here divide members.
    For posts like "I'm looking at a brand of air conditioner does anyone have experience with them?" are the types of posts are fine for Off Topic posts. Many members here have varied experiences and skill sets that can be helpful to others.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Let's see what you folks think about getting rid of the off-topic section:
    https://www.oodmag.com/community/sho...-topic-section