Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey reproduction in your area?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Default Turkey reproduction in your area?

Just wondering what you folks are seeing for poult numbers in your area. I'm at the northern boundary of 75 and 60, just north of Fenelon Falls. As per the past six years, I'm seeing an almost total reproduction failure again this year. Sex ratio now is totally skewed to males. I'd estimate we only have 25-30% hens now. Our winter flock of 20 - 40 birds is almost solid males now, compared to a 50:50 mix in years past. I haven't seen a single brood of poults yet this summer in our local area. Intead I'm seeing mature hens that are completely barren, and even pairing up with other mature hens. Wondering if the LPD virus is worse that we thought and it's halting reproduction like it has down in the upper States. I submitted two diseased birds to Guelph a few years back.
    Is anyone else seeing the same in their hunting WMU?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

In 66a....I saw lots of poults after the hatch. 5-6 hens in the flock had what looked like 8-10 each. But as the weeks went on the numbers dropped fast. The last time I saw some of them, there was 1 hen with 2 poults and another with only one. Obviously I missed some, but the per hen losses seeemed to be pretty high.

Last year I only saw maybe 4 Jakes in that flock that survived the winter.

Still not a bad sized flock that seems to be getting bigger each year, slowly but surely.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

55a, 55b and 58. Seeing large numbers of lone hens or paired hens. I have only seen one when with poults and that in and of itself was very strange as she had well over 20 with her. I watched this group for several hours on and off while working and no other hens were around.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    How is it one careless cigarette can cause a forest fire, but it takes a whole box of matches to light a campfire?

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Spent the last week driving daily back and for from Fenelon Falls to The Dirty Shawa (4 trips). Seen now six or 7 lone adult hens with no poults (Blackstock, Hampton, Pontypool, Mossport). Still have not seen a single hen with young. Something definately ain't right. Every one of these hens would have had a crop of poults beside them less than 10 years ago. LPD? Looks like West Nile has almost exterpated the Ruffed Grouse in the area I live but according to the available literature, young turkey are supposed to be less susecptible. Look up LPD in the US for more info.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Unfortunately last falls samples are still waiting to be processed at a lab in Georgia due to the pandemic. Kind of put a halt to WNV research here.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Not sure about pullets, but I did see Turkey a whole field up near River Valley in June. River Valley is kinda north of Sturgeon Falls about 50 km's

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I saw half dozen little ones a week ago in in Beaverton.

Maybe it was too hot and cooked the eggs? We did see temps shattering old records for a longest period of heat. It's been a scorching season so far . Who knows the heat may or may not have played a roll just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

See hens moving slow in hay field. Clovers too tall to see little ones now

These two just walked past the house. Nice fall birds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast