Thread: Underwater camera for downrigging

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Underwater camera for downrigging

I just was told that there are some underwater cameras that could be attached to a cannonball and that you can watch it live.
    I do not believe that so complicated signal as video imaging could be translated through the water column (30-100ft) but need to ask.... My understanding of radio signals could be outdated.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Im pretty sure they all use a wired camera. I have a cheap underwater camera Ive been meaning to hook up to the downrigger but always too busy trying to fish lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Tagged for interest...
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Obviously, attaching a regular underwater camera to a cannonball is an obvious thought. But the cable will create to much drug and will create a bow much bigger than the lane. That might create problems and also for 30' depth you would need 50' cable...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Friend of mine uses a Walker strikevision and watches it on his laptop in the boat. He was amazed at how many misses and swipes at the lure happen. Or fish that grab the lure without making the rod move.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Friend of mine uses a Walker strikevision and watches it on his laptop in the boat. He was amazed at how many misses and swipes at the lure happen. Or fish that grab the lure without making the rod move.
    Ya, I read and seen some videos about them but I think you need the walker downriggers too.... Lots of money there if you had to go that setup especially if you had to get new walker downriggers too....
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fratri View Post
    Ya, I read and seen some videos about them but I think you need the walker downriggers too.... Lots of money there if you had to go that setup especially if you had to get new walker downriggers too....
    You may be right although all they use is a special cable to run the signal. Unless there's something really special, I can't see why you couldn't put the cable on any other downrigger.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    You may be right although all they use is a special cable to run the signal. Unless there's something really special, I can't see why you couldn't put the cable on any other downrigger.
    they are likely using the downrigger cable as an antenna...good idea thats actually pretty easy to rig up with a wifi camera..there are some YouTube videos that explain how to make an underwater wifi antenna and a rigger cable would work.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Don't bother with a camera. It spooks the fish.